Wasp's in the nest

Includes Species Profile.
AMCA26

Thanks for the heads up matcho. The nest I killed poured petrol down and covered it over for 2 days.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Maurice

As an Englishman who spent my first 42 years in England, I can assure you that this creature came directly from hell. It is a fast flier with a built in anger mode. It has a smooth sting and is absolutely delighted to pump formic acid into humans, which it can do many times, unlike a bee which has its body part ripped out leading to its death. The pain inflicted by the sting of a European wasp is far greater that that of a bee.

If you take a swing at a wasp, and miss, it is very likely to attack you. Initially they live on ripe fruit, but after the fruit goes over they turn cannibal and a meat eater and are often seen carrying a fly. They are most dangerous late in Autumn (in England) when they become lethargic and crawl about on shelves amongst tin cans etc. I say dangerous because it is now that they do not fly as much but walk around and can be picked up when getting a tin off the shelf. I know, I've done it. You really do not want this pest in Australia, believe me. Also a word of warning, do not be too quick in taking on a wasp nest. They are extremely dangerous, far better to get a bona fide exterminator in. These wasps can kill a human and do so regularly in Europe.
matcho

Maurice,

All well and good to say get a pest exterminator but unfortunately they are here big time in the eastern states. Exterminators take your bucks and nine times out of ten have a minimal result, they will not travel across a couple of fences, just spray home, sure, kills cockies and ants. Personally Coopex all round and the Talon Ant Gel does my trick. Luckily haven't seen any at this time, they do tend to show up in the autumn which is our Gould breeding season. Never thought of the fruit feeding thing, good call. Suppose they just do what everything in nature does, hunt seasonally for the best return. As I said before, follow them, find the hole, wait till dark, hit them up with Baygon with the long tube down the hole, plug it... sorted.

Thanks for your input.

Ken.
Maurice

You are welcome Ken. I am very pleased that there are few here in Perth. In fact I have never seen one in my 33 years here, and I certainly don't miss them. However I understand your comments regarding extermination. If you must tackle the job yourself, be extremely careful. Remember a wasp nest can be massive with thousands of inhabitants and sometimes with more than one entrance!
matcho

Agree with your last comment Maurice, thought I had plugged the "only" entrance hole in Sans Souci, "WRONG"... next morning whole small backyard was covered with pissed off Euro wasps, but the Baygon had done its work. Found the second hole, plugged it. Ok, but the little pricks lasted a few hours, more Baygon, face to face. Ken's the winner!

Ken.
Maurice

:clap: :clap: :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The reason you will not - hopefully- see them in the west is because over here we have declared them a notifiable pest. :hothead: Welcome to the smart state. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Maurice

No doubt we will eventually get them here Ken. Little perishers will be riding in on the backs of cane toads!!! :worry: :worry: :worry:

Return to “Gouldian”