Colour variance

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In budgies you get light green, dark green, olive green (which indicates the presence of a violet gene) and grey green which is self explanitory and tends to dominate. In humans you get many shades of brown hair. This is the same thing. By experimenting and observing you can work out which shades are dominant and which recessive. Recent observasion shows the cinnamon/fawn in quail also comes in mixed shades and could be discovered further by experimental breeding.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

Spoke to Don today and he thinks it is definitely different and in his own words he said we have to "suck it and see" meaning let's take another look after it moults.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

Great. I'd love to see how it develops too. Please provide a post moult pic later in the year.
Blue Cuban

So many times we see something different in young Gouldians only for it to moult out.
To me it is different but as Don explained it could just be a variation in back colour which I strongly agree with (hence the topic title) and may have no mode of inheritance.
Let's hope this one makes the cut and makes it through the moult.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Do you think this could be a juvenile seagreen?
It does appear to be half green half blue.
I also believe I saw it sitting tall and trying to sing today but not 100% sure as for i was unable to hear its whistle.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Photo quality isn't good but bird in question has the orange leg band showing colouring around the collar below is a young green and a young blue on the right.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Definately not looking like a normal green. Any blue in the family? Or possibility of a "rodger the lodger" situation?
LML
LML
Tiaris

I'm still backing it being a WB hen compared to PB cock. Thanks for the update pics.
Blue Cuban

Tiaris wrote:I'm still backing it being a WB hen compared to PB cock. Thanks for the update pics.
Well your halfway there with it being a white breast along with being a black head.
Size of this bird and the colour around the collar would indicate being a hen.
The blue in the collar is extended high onto the back of the head and with flecks between its wings.
When feeding with the rest of the young at a communal dish it's a stand out colour differen to juvenile greens and almost mistaken for a blue but not the same.
Oh well only time will tell.
Hobby finch Keeper
garyh

I will put my money on sea green ,common in breeding blues,but can also turn up in normal's,garyh

Return to “Gouldian”