Bird sale anouncement Victoria all states ???

Latest news from the AFF team.
arthur

ShaneGowland wrote:The greyhound people lost in the court of public opinion.
The so-called "social licence" . .

And you don't think that the activists could manipulate the 'public opinion' against bird keepers to the extent that we too could lose our "social licence"?

Below is a quote from an unsuccessful submission from the Greyhound Owners Breeders and Trainers Association (NSW) to Premier Baird . .

Probably nil to do with the topic at hand . . but may be worth a read in the light of democratic process, government misuse of vested power etc etc

Mods can deal with it as they will . .

"Social licence is a concept that has never been measured or granted
It would appear that social licence was probably first used in the mining industry to try to describe the relationship between a mining company and its operations with its broader community. There is no evidence to support there being a legitimate way of transferring it from one industry or community to another.
Social licence was not measurable then, and it is still not measurable. It is a highly emotive expression that suggests “good” if you have the licence and “bad” if you don’t. There has never been a social licence issued. Equally there has never been a social licence revoked. There are no alternative terms offered for it. It has not been deemed possible as yet to assign it or agree a definition.

No-one has ever seen a social licence and we do not know what form it exists in, if it does exist. No-one has ever seen, touched, smelt, heard, tasted or sensed a social licence. No-one has ever experienced an emotion that can be attributed directly to a social licence. It does not have a physical presence, and has no colour, shape or size. No-one has seen a photo or a picture of a social licence.
No-one has ever owned a social licence. A social licence has never been bought or sold, inherited, transferred, copied, faked or handed in. If it doesn’t exist in reality, science or science fiction and isn’t recognised legal terminology is it possible or even legal to pass legislation based on its consideration?

Significantly we can find no previous instance or precedent of it being used as a basis for a legal decision. Our legislators have never debated the matter, and the Premier has announced his intention to ban an entire industry based on the industry “losing its social licence”. We believe there is no precedent for this. That the concept could “come into existence” in some form or another as the result of a vote in Parliament brings with it questions that can only be tested in the appropriate court.

Quite simply there is no basis to justify or support a decision where there is loss of an undefined concept that can’t be measured or owned. It is not possible to consider the loss of a concept that simply does not exist. You can’t lose something you can’t measure, has never been granted, you can’t own or doesn’t exist."
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And you don't think that the activists could manipulate the 'public opinion' against bird keepers to the extent that we too could lose our "social licence"?
Absolutely. Which is why it makes no sense to make this easier for them.

You wrote previously that bird keepers should stop being:
nice, obedient, (unfair)law-abiding citizens
Surely you understand how statements like that make arguing against misguided rights activists so much more difficult.
arthur

No . .

I said

"You can keep complying . . keep being nice, obedient, (unfair)law-abiding citizens, in the belief that 'they' will see that you are 'nice' people and they will 'do the right thing by you' . .

But they WON"T "

and I said

"My opinion is that if you don't challenge these people, they will keep grinding you down . . and will probably do so even if you do challenge"

And . .

I believe that Joan of Arc prayed for rain
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's some good news. Some (but sadly, not all - yet!) Google searches for 'Paris Yves,' the woman who started all of this nonsense, now return my blistering refutation of her argument as the top search result.
parisyves.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

If word on the street with NSW voters is anything to go by, public opinion is far more with the greyhound industry than the premier on this one. He is likely to suffer badly from the "court of public opinion" at the next election as a result of his hasty knee-jerk policy with this issue. The resemblance to the federal live cattle export cessation decision following a 4-corners episode a few years ago is astounding.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiaris wrote:If word on the street with NSW voters is anything to go by, public opinion is far more with the greyhound industry than the premier on this one.
The only poll I could find found 82% support the ban, but the polling methodology was pretty lousy. It will be interesting to see how the next election turns out.

Either way, there's a lot that aviculture can learn from the greyhound racing ban. Mostly what not to do.
SamDavis

I'm no expert on the Greyhound industry, however it appears to me that the significant issue was that administrators of the industry were proven to be turning a blind to live baiting (and also wastage) issues. This is the big lesson for aviculture to learn. Do not cover up for the poor operators in aviculture. We must expose them or they will take us all down.

On a more positive note. We must promote what we do well. The potential for expanding our threatened species effort is enormous and in my view is the best promotion of aviculture we have. I have some meetings organised with a few politicians and bureaucrats so we're moving forward but it requires widespread support. There are other areas to promote, such as working with the zoo community, aviaries in nursing homes and hospitals, benefits of pets and companion birds, and so on. We all need to spread the word about this stuff. Just tell people down the pub, at the shops, neighbours, etc. If the general public is on our side then any "shock and awe" extreme animal video will simply not register with the public.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Sam says in his 2nd paragraph is totally on the money. Whenever I mention to people that I am a birdkeeper, and they respond that they dont like caging birds. My response is always, neither do I, I would only ever keep them in avairys where they are well cared for and protected from predators. Makes the think.
LML
LML
SamDavis

We expect Minister Pulford to introduce an amendment Bill into parliament this month (likely September 13-15th) to deal with the puppy farm issue. It is likely this Bill will include amendments to deal with our bird sale issue. Once the content of the Bill is made public we will know whether to celebrate or really fire up!
Just sent off the following polite response to the Minister's 1/8/16 letter...
pulford 280816.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Onya Sam. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”