orange breast babies

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
escapin

Just wondering if orange breast babies always have white feathers on their wings?

I've never bred them before but just noticed two little guys bumping around the aviary.
Tiaris

No not usually. It is most common where they have done it a bit tough nutritionally/environmentally. It will moult out as they mature.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you can source some seed with weevils in they will go absolutely nuts eating the weavils.
LML
LML
BluJay

Escapin, I cannot answer that question, but it's awesome you have yourself some orange breast babies. Mine are on clutches now, but not sure if they will be viable. I was told for better chances to find some frozen white ants, which I've had no luck locating. I did start feeding them meal worms I cut in half, which the eat readily. What did you feed yours? Regards
escapin

Thanks for the answers.
They get silverbeet, endive, cucumber, mealworms and seed of course. Wouldnt know where to even start with getting termites etc.

I'm a newbie to breeding finches, only ever bred zebs when i was a kid.
E Orix

It happens rather often but the white flights generally disappear when the adult moult has completed.
lyn2233

Hi, I bought a pair of Orange Breasted finches in Dec 2008 they have never bred but they have had one baby and raised it and now flying around. I have also noticed white feathers on the wings. I have put mealy worms in for the finches but they don't seem to eat them. i noticed they have built a new nest and already two eggs. Seems funny after 6 yrs they finally bred my aviary is 10 mtrs long and they have always had plenty of room with no one disturbing them. Do they need live food what do you suggest. Thanks for any replies.
Budgie_Smugglers

Maggots...??? For the birds i mean... :wtf:
SamDavis

OBs love maggots and I'd say mealworms may be a bit big for them to handle. I don't think live-food is a necessity but it will ensure much larger clutches. Mine tend to have larger clutches than many other species - I would say 5 is pretty normal for OBs and 6 is not uncommon.
Bmac27

My OB fledglings always had a white feather on the outer most of the primaries ... always moulted out and they always had top notch nutrition :)

Return to “Breeding Finches”