Moving my Canaries

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
djb78

There are 3 reasons to why a Canary will stop singing
1- Health being sick or moulting
2- The male has a hen which he has accepted and now has a bond to her
3- not a happy chappy, which could come down to many reasons such as environment, mate ,food.
As this time of year I would think number 1 to be out of the question and the photos show some nice healthy birds. As for number 2 if the male isn't letting the hen close then I would guess they haven't bonded as of yet. So it might he number 3 he is not quite happy with her yet but sometimes this can take a little while as he might not be ready just yet but spring has just sprung and there is still a long way to go for breeding season. With mine I have 10 pair all paired most in cabinets and so far only have 3 of the 10 with nests the rest all have new mates and are still settling in, I would think 2 weeks max and the majority will have nests.
Danny
Canary

I have started putting a few of my hens in the breeding cabinets this morning as they have been carrying around grass in the aviary this week.

I will leave them for a week to settle down, and make sure that they are drinking from the water bottles, and then start pulling the slides out slightly for the cock to feed the hen.
Harvey11

Yesssssssss

Got my first Canary egg today in the nest..

Happy Harvey11 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canary

Congratulations.

I hope it is a fertile egg, and there are many more. Interested to hear how you go.

I have now got all my hens in the breeding cabinets. I have a nest in one cabinet, as the hen has been carrying grass around. I can't wait.
djb78

Hey good Harvey all the best. I myself have all but 2 pair building nests and got 4 pair sitting on egg/s. Wait till they hatch Harvey and then you'll hear some noise as they get bigger they always get alot louder.
What type of canaries do you breed Canary?
Danny
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations. My hen has stopped at 3 again.
LML
LML
Canary

Danny

I only have Border Fancy canaries now. I usually breed 10 hens these days. In the past I have had up to 25 Border hens. It started to get too much hard work. Much more enjoyable with 10 hens.

I used to also breed Lizard canaries. I won the National Canary & Caged Bird show many years ago.

I just love to breed birds, and showing them against friends is very enjoyable. I am still learning things and trying different things.

I have also had Diamonds and Star finches in the past. No finch aviaries now as I had to negotiate a trade-off with the wife for her vegetable gardens over half the backyard.
Brett

Hi Canary,

When is the best time to candle the eggs,do you do this??????
I have a feeling they might be infertile,cock bird not interested i think....
Harveys got finch eggs everywhere at the moment,zebs,canary,ect

ps canary layed another egg today now 2

Brett. Harveys Dad
Last edited by Brett on 12 Sep 2011, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
djb78

Hi Canary, I love the boarder fancy used to breed them a while ago along with glosters, yorkies, rollers and basic whistlers. About 6 years ago I was breeding all those types and just starting my finch collection, I had around the 30 pair and was doing well to, after 3 years started to get to much didn't know what to keep and what to get rid of. Never showed my birds which was a shame as a few blokes told me that I had some good birds that might of went alright but not being part of a club and no time was the reasons. Now I only have 10 pair all whistlers and a pair of German rollers but think only 8 might breed this year as 2 pair are 7+ years of age. Always wanted to try my hand at the scotch fancy but might he a future try, now I'm more into finches and now I'm breeding siskins for which I'm slowly phasing out my canaries. Hopefully in a few years with more time and finances im looking at upgrading a shed to a bird room which is when I will get back into canaries and try all the breeds which I always wanted and may even join a club.
Danny
BENSONSAN

I have a pair of yorkies in a well protected aviary with my finches. Should I put nest pans in? I have heaps of brush a boxes. Never kept cup nesters before. Will they nest on brush?

Return to “Breeding Finches”