Re: Water

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
rpetersen

Hi Everyone,
Is it good/ok to use Virkon S in the birds drinking water. Now during the warm weather the water needs to be changed frequently and what I have picked up that the water smell after a day and needs to be changed. I do not always have the time to change the water everyday and was looking at an alternative to keep the water fresh for longer. If Virkon S can be used with it cause toxity to the birds seeing that it will be exposed to the heat during the day. My problem is I have to service about 40 cages and would like to change water every second or third day. Any ideas. I do not have automatic waterers.

:worry:
Riyaad
Finchman1

Try a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water
Spitfire

I do believe that Virkon S is a disenfectant and if I was you, I would read the instructions on the container before I put it in the birds drinking water.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like it is time to invest in automatic watering. Even if you only put 10 avairys onto it each 6 months to spread the cost. It will repay you very quickly in time saved. Just a quick look in each avairy each day and attend to those that need it.
LML
LML
Trilobite

why why why on earth do you want to put Virkon in the birds drinking water. Is it contaminated with sewage to something. Normal tap, tank or bore water is fine - blah blah blah chlorine this and fluorine that and heavy metals - get over it - if it is potable water good enough for humans then the birds will do just fine. No where in nature do you find disinfectants in food and water supply. Good cleanliness will be good for you and your birds any day of the week before virkon additive.

Sorry to sound blunt but try as much as possible to use fresh, clean food and water and stand by the KISS principle.
Cheers
Trilobite
BluJay

@RPetersen, do what YOU, feel is right for you. You will get varying answers to this question. As well as, sarcasim/rudeness. I put one teaspoon of Multi-Cleanse, by Passwells, per 10 liters of water prior to filling water tubes. I also between watering soak water tubes in citric acid to clean.
There was a time I used to put ACV in water, and/or ACV with garlic, and was met with lots of hostile comments, although many people do also. Virkon S, some people do use to disinfect water tubes - refilling with fresh water without rinsing prior to doing so.
I apologise for the sarcasim, as in this instance I take offense.
KISS principle; keep it simple stupid.
Stupid; is someone that cannot learn or be taught.
Ignorance; is someone that can learn and be taught, they just didn't know any better, prior to learning. Kind Regards.
Trilobite

KIss = keep it simple sailor

Not wanting to hijack this thread but Blujay I ask you this - do you use any cleansing agents in your own drinking water on a daily or weakly basis.

Nuff said.
Cheers
Trilobite
BluJay

The government does that. I believe it's called chlorine. Something that is not good for the body. And you soak more up than you drink bathing/showering. Regards.
Craig52

BluJay wrote:@RPetersen, do what YOU, feel is right for you. You will get varying answers to this question. As well as, sarcasim/rudeness. I put one teaspoon of Multi-Cleanse, by Passwells, per 10 liters of water prior to filling water tubes. I also between watering soak water tubes in citric acid to clean.
There was a time I used to put ACV in water, and/or ACV with garlic, and was met with lots of hostile comments, although many people do also. Virkon S, some people do use to disinfect water tubes - refilling with fresh water without rinsing prior to doing so.
I apologise for the sarcasim, as in this instance I take offense.
KISS principle; keep it simple stupid.
Stupid; is someone that cannot learn or be taught.
Ignorance; is someone that can learn and be taught, they just didn't know any better, prior to learning. Kind Regards.
The object of this forum is for asking a specified question and to get the opinions of others and you can take it or leave it.Everyone has an opinion be it good or bad but some people take it as offensive to themselves thinking the original poster was offended by what was said which is probably not the case.
By all means,give your opinions but don't stomp on others opinions because you don't like what was said. Craig

ps.sorry to be of topic but someone has to say it.
BluJay

@Craig52, boo hoo, that kiss comment is over the edge. The scarcasism/rudeness is what makes this forum stink in the first place. Opinions are like blah blah. No on wants to hear them. Note Dr. Craig52, no other comment about what was said is mentioned. Get over yourself. Regards

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”