In the mix

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
crazy cuban

Just out of curiosity, do other people keep parrots (neophemas aside) in with their finches or is the possibility of missing legs too high?
I guess individual birds temperament and aviary layout are all factor to the success or disaster that plays out.
If other do keep some of the bigger/ different parrots in with their finches, what species do you mix with them?
CC
Craig52

CC you answered your question in your first sentence,imo any parrot larger than neophemas are a risk but not so much with adult finches but vulnerable newly fledged young that just sit there waiting for their legs to be chopped off. Craig
Painted4

I have a pair of Scarlets in one of my aviaries, all birds have been fine.
My brother keeps Javas in with princess parrots and all sorts of Neophemas for years without issue.
arthur

This is a question that keeps cropping up . .

Usually asked by people who, deep down know that they should not

But when they are advised not to . . they point out that somebodywho knows somebody's butcher who has a friend who does so with no problems

The short answer is . .NO

The long answer is . . NO . .

But if you are silly enough, go ahead
crazy cuban

I just became curios after reading about lineolated being kept with bengalese finches and hadn't heard of especially foreign parrots kept with finches
CC
Denozo

I keep hooded parrots in with a pair each of crimsons, zebras and tcpf. The hooded parrots only ever give warning nips to whoever lands close to them but otherwise leave them alone. The trouble. Is trying to provide sufficient sprout seed and livefood as the parrots devour everything. I believe this is why the crimsons will not breed however everything else has. For this reason I will be relocating the parrots to a new aviary. I think if you are not concerned with breeding then it can work however to breed seriously it doesn't work. For the record I have had Bourke parrots do more damage to finches than my hoodeds do.
E Orix

What do you have if you house Emus with your chooks, very nervous chooks!!!!!!!
Same ratio finches to parrots, birds will breed but how well.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And some small birds nest in the same trees as Wedge tailed eagles in the wild. I would not do it. But some small fast pugnatious birds will co habitate with big slow birds. Again I still would not do it.
LML
LML
Pictorella

finchbreeder wrote:And some small birds nest in the same trees as Wedge tailed eagles in the wild. I would not do it. But some small fast pugnatious birds will co habitate with big slow birds. Again I still would not do it.
LML
Good point finchbreeder but in the wild the small birds are choosing to nest near the Wedgie (mainly for protection) whereas in captivity it is forced upon them, and in a much smaller space. I agree with you, I'd never do it either.
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”