Importing Birds Into Australia

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Red

Spotswood
TomDeGraaff

My understanding is that Spotswood is for live birds and Torrens Island for eggs.
crazy cuban

Apologies for my ignorance, but if it is a possibility for them to bring in poultry, what stops us doing the same with finches and the like?
CC
Spitfire

What stops the importation of Finches is MONEY first and foremost and then is some of the Rules and Regulations.
One regulation I heard of is, that if 1 bird dies in Quarantine through disease, then the rest of the flock is put down. I don't know how true that is, but would anyone take a chance.
Tiaris

Species need to be first approved for importation through species impact statements. This has not been done for any exotic finch species I know of. The way around this is to initially only import mutations of native finch species to establish finch importation protocols.
Red

Uraeginthus wrote:My understanding is that Spotswood is for live birds and Torrens Island for eggs.
Chicken07 wrote:Yes. The UK facility held the breeder flock. They were meticulously checked for any diseases or problems over there in that facility and everything went well. That was happening earlier this year and while it was going on Avgen was working with the Department of Agriculture and working out the conditions under which the eggs were going to be imported. After the eggs were here, they were rested, disinfected and set in incubators. Once hatched they spent a number of months in quarantine before being released to their new owners. It was all much the same as the earlier attempt, with the obvious differences being the size of the importation and the outcome. The quarantine facility used in this case was Spotswood and I have heard high praise of the facility and the staff there.
Red

This list might be interesting for anyone thinking about establishing importation protocols for finches. One species of foreign finch (canary) makes it into part 2. Doesn't mean you can import them but they do make the "List of specimens taken to be suitable for live import (02/05/2014)" as prepared by the Department of the Environment.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014C00744

Recessive White, Italian Giant Frill, Parisian Frillls, Waterslager, Timbrado Espanol, new Yorkshire bloodlines, lots of possibilities.
SamDavis

Red wrote:One species of foreign finch (canary) makes it into part 2...
So I can bring in these red-legged blue canaries? :thumbup:
rlhc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

Ill take 3 pair of those blue canaries, always had a soft spot for canaries. :shifty:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Red

SamDavis wrote:
Red wrote:One species of foreign finch (canary) makes it into part 2...
So I can bring in these red-legged blue canaries? :thumbup:
rlhc.jpg
You could try....

Return to “The Lounge”