Wild Type Normal Zebs

Includes Species Profile.
rip64

G,day brockssracer (Welcome to forum) the Zebs are from breeding stock from Healsville Sanctuary here in Victoria - it is an Animal and bird sanctuary probably classed as a zoo. I am lucky to live near, and know David Pace here in Torquay who is associated with Healsville, that is how I came to aquire these Normal Wild Type Zeb's. No doubt I will have young available in the near future as the TWO pair's have settled in extremely well into their respective aviaries.
Stay tuned if interested
Brian
Last edited by rip64 on 15 Dec 2012, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
brockssracer

Cool, sounds interesting. Is there any colouration differences that is noticeable from the offspring of wc or f1s when comparing to the normal greys that are prob f1000 which are the normal stock you get from anywhere else?
rip64

Checked today one pair on 4 eggs and other pair on one egg, just like I remember - Zebs don't muck around in their quest to multiply.
desertbirds

brockssracer wrote:How would someone have a wild caught colony? I thought it was illegal to catch wild birds or does he have a license to do so?
If you live a semi-remote area inland ,zebs are like sparrows,mynas,turtle doves ect, they are common as flies. The other thing with zebs is that are one the first birds to respond to a good seaon and the last to give up once the season is done. They can breed in massive numbers and remain in the area for several years after the rain disappears (its no wonder they are one of the most commonest kept birds on the planet). I dont know how anyone could have a wild caught colony but i have no problem with it. The birds that live in the desert during boom times also face drought and masssive fires shortly afterwards, most wont survive so in this instance topping stock with a few normal birds ( regulated of course) has absolutley no impact on wild populations.
Niki_K

rip64 wrote:Checked today one pair on 4 eggs and other pair on one egg, just like I remember - Zebs don't muck around in their quest to multiply.
Do you have them in an aviary or breeding cages?
rip64

Niki_k, one pair in seperate aviaries - in with stars, painted, Gouldians and a Canary in each aviary.

Return to “Zebra”