sick gouldian

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Redwing

I have an elderly gouldian (6+ years) who over the last week or so has taken to sleeping in his nest box and not been as active as usual. We have had a sudden cool change, so just thought he was feeling the temperature change as he's spent most of each day following the sun around the aviary. A couple of days ago I noticed him wiping his beak a lot and looking a bit fluffed up.Had a chance to catch him up today and although I couldn't hear any clicks he has quite a pronounced wheeze. Have treated him with Ivermectin and brought him inside in a hot box. Anything else I should do? Does it sound like air sac mites? Should I treat the others in the aviary? They are painteds, cubans and stars. If so can I put it in the water so I don't have to catch them all?
Craig52

I think he maybe past his use by date,the cold weather usually knocks them off pretty quick and the wheezing is probably a sign that his respiratory system can't handle the cold weather.
You will prolong his life in a hot box but you will have to leave him there till summer or let nature do its thing imo Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It could not hurt to just be sure and treat the avairy via the water but. I don;t just treat for the sake of it but if something is ill, even if there is a maybe as to why, I will treat.
LML
LML
Redwing

Have decided to keep the elderly gouldian inside for a few days to give him a chance to recover, then he can go back to the aviary. If he doesn't I'll take him to the vet for diagnosis in case I need to treat all my other birds. If I need to give them all Ivermectin can I put it in the water and if so what's the dilution rate?
Myzomela

Hi Redwing,

You can use ivomec in water but moxidectin (Cydectin) is a better choice IMO because it mixes better and is more stable in water than ivomec is.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Redwing

Hi Myzomela
The only brand I could get was Avermec (Ivermectin 1,000mcg/ml) Is it worth trying and if so what is the dilution rate?
Redwing

I ended up taking my gouldian to the vet for a diagnosis as another of my (equally elderly) birds also developed a wheeze. Put them both in a hot box and treated them both with Ivermectin. After 4 days there was an improvement in both, but was really anxious to have a diagnosis. The vet agreed that air sac mites seemed the most likely cause and treated the gouldian for a secondary pneumonia. I have spent the weekend catching my other birds and totally stripping and cleaning their aviary, replacing all perches, brush etc after treating all the birds. Kept them all in cages for the weekend while this happened and noticed my other 2 gouldians have developed large pale droppings. Is this a side effect of the Ivermectin? Have tried to look it up with no success. My 2 old boys are now wheeze free and have graduated to a cage inside at night and outside under the pagola in the sun for the day time.

Return to “Finch Health”