Australian Yellow (AY) Babies.

Includes Species Profile.
TheFinchMan101

Just had a closer look at the baby today and it looks as if the baby will be white breast given the very light colour on the breast.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't speak for anyone else. But I for one am not in the least offended EOrix. And certainly am still learning. I just keep asking questions and consulting the genetics forcasters. And go by what the combination says. And remember that there will always be new mutations to trip us out of our previous assumptions. :think:
LML
LML
Simba

This BH Cock bird I have is both DF EY and AY if you look at the breast you can see a red fusion bar which i have not seen on Australian Yellows before.

He's currently paired to a split AY hen, they have 6 eggs but all infertile, I'm going to take the eggs away and let them go again, they are a young pair so it could be just Inexperience but I did wonder if the combination of genetics has caused the problem.

DF EY AY Cock.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
Matt

Natamambo is right on this one. The EY and the AY yellow genes can be combined in the one bird. I have had several such birds. In finchmans case, I think his probably is a combination of the two given the nodules but will be visually impossible to tell unless it is genetically purple breasted in which case the AY gene may leave traces of purple.
Matt

Simba. I strongly doubt that bird is DF sex linked yellow or even SF yellow for that matter. there are traces of black on the head and it's back is not completely clear yellow. When the two genes are combined any foul green feathering that would normally appear in AY's will be masked by e EY gene. Even in SF's this will still be the case as the effect of the AY gene has the same effect on the back colour on a EY bird as the white breasted mutation does in that even a SF bird will have a clean yellow back. It is physically impossible to tell the difference between a SFY combined with AY and a DFY combined with AY.
TheFinchMan101

Update:
the baby definitely has red pupils but it just looks different to the other yellow backs from other clutches, the yellow on its back is a lot more brighter and is a lot less creamy on the back than on the other yellows.
Its definitely going to be white breasted as well.
in the second last pic you can see the dad of the baby with the red head.
Stavros01

Well, if it has red eyes, i think is a Lutino, which meens that the male (father)is split to lutino.
In this case, that chick is going to be a female.

Regards
Gustavo
Craig52

Stavros01 wrote:Well, if it has red eyes, i think is a Lutino, which meens that the male (father)is split to lutino.
In this case, that chick is going to be a female.

Regards
Gustavo
Well there you go,between Stavros and myself we might be right,hope so we might be able to establish lutino's in Australia.Treat it carefully. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Cheers Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With eyes like that she has to be ino. Congratulations. And yes treat like gold.
LM
LML
ColouredFeathers

Congratulations Finch Man101 on the lutino nice bird
cheers flavio :thumbup: :thumbup:
Image Image Image

Return to “Gouldian”