Red Eyed Gouldian - Aus Yellow or Lutino?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Tiaris

Hen black-headed Euro yellow and Australian yellow. How's that?
Blue Cuban

Very possible, the gene pool is there..!!
Only way to know for sure is to breed from her.
Hobby finch Keeper
SamDavis

Just looking at this Lutino and Albino bred by Bert Helder in the Netherlands.
lut_alb_gouldian (Custom).jpg
Comparing with the hen in this thread leads me to believe tiaris is correct that the bird in this thread is both EY and AY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomDeGraaff

Sorry, Craig. I disagree.
A truely pure blue mutation retains ONLY the melanins. These are responsible for the black, greys, browns and, through the spongy layer of the feathers, the blues.
The biscuit colour you refer to is formed partly from the red/yellow lipochrome-style (sorry, I mean carotenoids :)) pigments remaining. If the bird was truely a blue mutation, then these head colours would be white or a shade of grey imo. The backs also have a greenish tinge imo.
Also, you mention belly colour. A true blue bird should have a snow-white belly imo.
Finally, I don't really understand your last point about lipochromes and yellow-backeds having yellow bellies. It is confusing to me.
Cheers
Tom
Craig52

Lets agree to disagree,looks like someone has deleted my post. Craig :thumbup:
Blue Cuban

As for my bird I don't know what I've got there is many possibilities but I don't believe it's a lutino but could well be on to something in later generations.

The above birds are perfect displays of a lutino/albino (to my knowledge there is no single gene albino) but are you all aware that you can also get red head and yellow head Lutino's?
Hobby finch Keeper
TomDeGraaff

Albino is a combination of a lutino and a true blue. Each mutation eliminates a group of pigments thus you end up with a bird which has no pigment whatsoever.

Because lutinoes retain all their carotenoids, yellow, orange, red are all retained. A lutino black-headed should have a white head unless some carotenoid colour is hidden under the black.
Blue Cuban

Just a up-date...

She is doing well and has gone to nest (not by my choice) with a BHPBGB possible split blue.
Would of like to had paired her with a DFyWBBH split to nothing.
230215.JPG
rEDeYE.PNG
rEDeYE2.PNG
Rich.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

Looking good Rich,i'm not going say anything in case the expert baits me. Craig :thumbup:
Blue Cuban

Craig52 wrote:Looking good Rich,i'm not going say anything in case the expert baits me. Craig :thumbup:
lol.....im not sure who the expert is.. :think:

She is now 6-7 months old and if it was going to disappear I would of expected it to have cleared up and been completely black by now.

There is no doubt that there is some red still being retained in the eye and even in the shaded part of the aviary you can see it but its a dark red wine like colour and my camera (Iphone 6..lol) cant capture it the way the naked eye see's it.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Mutation Finches”