CROSS BREADING LICENCED BIRDS

Craig52

Thanks Jusdeb, i think or posts got crossed with grasswren cheers :thumbup:
Tintola

South Australia's position is this:

http://www.unitedbirds.asn.au/positionstatements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should be adopted in all states.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alternatively - Australia wide. Anyone knowingly hybridising birds for the purpose of profit over sustainability should be named and shamed.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just quit a site over some young twit trying to cross a quarrion with a kak .....no wonder parrot breeders have such a bad name .

Hybrids and selling unweaned birds ...hate them both with a passion .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
thehammer

Tintola wrote:This should not be legal and if it does happen the birds should be surgically de-sexed so they don't ruin the gene pool of both species. Will check it out! I have been trying for years to get the Golden Pheasant genetics out of my Lady Amherst birds.
You will never totally remove the hybrid genes, after 9 generations its ~99.8% pure, at 12 gen it's ~99.976% pure.

What gen count are you upto and do you still get throwbacks?
Tintola

I've got them to pretty good colour. I had a very pure male, which was 18 or 20 years old, and bought a "pure" hen. The resulting young males had red on their abdomens and top of the legs but were otherwise well coloured. I bred one of them back to its mother as the old male had died by then and the young of that pairing and much more Golden Pheasant in them. Photo's later.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
maz

jusdeb wrote: Hybrids and selling unweaned birds ...hate them both with a passion .

Two of my pet hates too.....GRRRR!
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually I'm not really against cross breeding so long as it is controlled and done for PERSONAL experimentation, and as long as it isn't KNOWINGLY attempted with the foreign/harder to find species (i.e. blue cap cross purple grenadier). for example I have no problems with canary mules etc.If someone wanted to cross breed a zebra with say a longtail juts to experiment to see if it would even work, or especially if it was an accident, fine by me. Just so long as they don't a) try to sell it as a pure bird or a breeding bird. If someone wanted to buy that parrot as a pet, fine by me, but it should be made clear to the buyer that it is not a bird to be bred with.

The first lutino scaly was I think a lutino rainbow lorikeet crossed with a normal scaly wasn't it? Just as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Just for the record I don't condone it, and I certainly won't be trying it, but I'm just saying I'm neutral.
(sits back waiting for the firestorm to rage down upon me)

As for selling unweaned birds, there is no excuse and they should be severely reprimanded.....
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yesterday I was asked to help yet another lady who had bought an unweaned quarrion and then realised she didnt know how to look after it .
Thats 4 this year , needless to say getting my help comes with a price which is listening to my well rehearsed lecture about NOT buying or selling unweaned babies .

So sad to lift these little birds out of their boxes and feel sharp keels , obvious sign of being under weight .

Yesterdays bird was bought from the markets and came with probably 2 teaspoons of something that smelt like custard powder and no details on the care of the bird.

So annoyed by peoples stupidity ....

Re Hybrids ...whatever floats ya boat ..probably more opposed to the greed associated with this hybrid culture however whats the good of crossing threatened birds , no good at all in the long run .
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi
I have passed this to our Wildlife Licensing Unit.

Regards
Linda

Ok we are in the system will keep you posted .
David Brent

Return to “Anything else”