Canary nest building

superx01

I have 2 red factors supposed to be cock and hen? but both young- Who builds the nest and sits on the eggs Both, or just the hen as I now think I have 2 hens as neither really sing like a cock bird and the one that is meant to be the cock built the nest and is sitting on eggs - How do you sex them?
Canary

It is normally the hen that builds the nest.

I have had some cocks that sit on the nest for short periods, however, they will not sit on the eggs for long periods of time.

Most healthy cock birds are singing their lungs out at this time of the year.

I think you may have 2 hens.
superx01

That's what I thought but it is hard to sex canaries and one was trying to sing but I had read that the hens can make little attempt at it but it just sounds all muddled - So of to find a cock bird now Thanks.
Misso

Is it ok to breed red factor to red factor? I'm new to canaries but thought it was not the best pairing. :) misso
Canary

Yes, the best show red factors are bred red factor to red factor.

The main thing is to breed an intensive (strong colour) to a frosted bird. It doesn't matter which is the cock or which is the hen.

You will need to feed the parents and chicks the red colouring food in their egg food and later in their water to have good colour after the moult.
Misso

Canary wrote:Yes, the best show red factors are bred red factor to red factor.

The main thing is to breed an intensive (strong colour) to a frosted bird. It doesn't matter which is the cock or which is the hen.

You will need to feed the parents and chicks the red colouring food in their egg food and later in their water to have good colour after the moult.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
branchez

Canary wrote:Yes, the best show red factors are bred red factor to red factor.

Hi Canary-on ebay you can buy 1kg of Carophyll from the US but there seems to be some restrictions bringing it into this country.
Have you looked into this as the price looks very good at $199 US.
Jack
Canary

I haven't looked at buying it on eBay.

I have used it with my Lizards for the first time this year. I only use a small amount on 18 birds and I am able to buy it through the New Colour Club in Sydney.
branchez

Canary wrote:I haven't looked at buying it on eBay.

I have used it with my Lizards for the first time this year. I only use a small amount on 18 birds and I am able to buy it through the New Colour Club in Sydney.
Thanks for your reply.
Jack
Red

branchez wrote:Have you looked into this as the price looks very good at $199 US.
That amount of Carophyll powder will be excess to your needs considering breeders buy 25 or 50 grams a year.

You can buy 1.25 litres of club red for $33. I can pm you a mobile number if you want it. Other brands are sold in pet shops at smaller quantities but results will vary.

Misso,

There are pictures of non frosted and frosted red factors in the September 2013 newsletter:

viewtopic.php?f=225&t=14775

Return to “Canaries”