Gouldian finch keeping

Includes Species Profile.
JohnP

I live in Canberra where temperatures range from minus 7 in winter to plus 40 in summer and would appreciate anyones thoughts on the merits of keeping a pair of Goulian finches as part of my aviary. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

JohnP
Diane

Hi and welcome to the forum

I also keep Gouldians in an outside aviary. The weather in Adelaide has been varied this past year to say the least and my birds seem to have coped well with it. I do have a canvas shade that I drop to lessen the wind in winter. This also works well as shade in the summer, on particularly hot days I hose it down and it seems to keep one end of the aviary cooler.
I will admit to installing a heat lamp for them made from a mechanics lamp and a terracotta plant pot in the depths of winter. :oops:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

hello john and welcome my first tip would be to ask u a question ,do you cry easy... just kidding goulds are great but can be very temprementle when it comes to hot and cold its not really the fluctuation in temp its the draughts that kill them quicker than anything. if you have a draught free aviary no problems as these birds lack the down feathers that can help control or regulate there body heat. if you go a head and buy some do it locally and see how the breeder keeps them if they allow it. if they come from an outside aviary you should have no problem but if you buy them from and inside/ cabinet breeder then you could be asking for trouble. tip 2 dont be afraid to ask questions .. two things to keep your wallet when u go the cash to pay and list of questions to ask ie what type of seed mix they feed ,what green food do they give ect. if they are a good breeder they would be able to point you in the right direction . they are a lovely bird but at times they are not for the faint hearted.....pete
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Buy local birds that have been bred for a few generations outside , these birds should be genetically strong enough to cope with the weather conditions in your area.
Of course I did say SHOULD anyhoo least its a good start. :D
And keep them out of the draughts , a good diet , and all the general rules of finch keeping ...not so hard and very rewarding , I think goulds have a different persona to other finches , mine are much more curious and people friendly than other breeds.
Well worth having a go..............good luck with it.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

poitta wrote:if they are a good breeder they would be able to point you in the right direction
jusdeb wrote:Buy local birds that have been bred for a few generations outside
I heartily agree with all Deb and Pete said. I was lucky enough to get my first gouldians from an older gentleman and he spent a lot of time explaining the species and their needs.
jusdeb wrote:mine are much more curious and people friendly than other breeds
I have one or two male gouldians in the main aviary that will land and eat the grasses in my hand when I stand in the aviary. Cant decide if its greed or daring on their part :lol: but it impresses the grandkids ;) I felt pretty impressed the first time it happened too :D now I look forward to offering that grass to them knowing they will get really close to me.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
JohnP

Thank you to all, your information and discussion with a breeder contact of mine has convinced me that to keep a pair would be enjoyable. I am adapting the aviary I am constructing to exclude as many draughts as possible as this to me seems like the biggest risk to Gouldies. :D
John
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I live in canberra.

A lot of my birdy friends keep them in unheated, unprotcted aviaries with shelters, no probs.
Mine are rather... shall we say thick? :lol: they sit outside in the flight even in the worst weather. I bring them inside if it gets really bad.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Gouldian”