chocolate parsons

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
glen

Hi All

In South Africa we have recently started to see a few more of the Chocs appearing as well as pure white with just a tinge of light brown bibs and flanks, I will try and get photos of mine "chocs", " Fawns" and Normals up tomorrow, then you can see what we have here in RSA, one thing I must mention is that the folks that cross our Parsons with Long tails to get the whites have in deed got nice birds but one can see in the size of the birds that they are sub quality birds, only once they are bred back for a generation or two do they "grow" up, but still remain a inferior bird. It is not worth the effort and also endangers the species big time.

I have recently tried to get hold of "Pure Normal Gouldians" in RSA and have really battled to find straight pures, so already we are finding it hard to get the pure strains back into our averies. I was able only after 6 years to successfully breed true Hecks ( Or what I thought were as close to the true likness Red feet and beak not light orange and pink etc) then immigrated to Aus :thumbup: just for a year to be sent packing due to the drought and reccesion :thumbdown: :thumbdown: and then to get the averies built and to try and find finches with the purity that I had... it is really difficult to get good pure birds in RSA :?: :?:

My 2c worth..

G :wave:
Breeding Finches isn't a hobby its a way of LIFE....
jaytt

Thanks for the information on the parson chocs,sounds like there could be some pure birds out there,if we dont specialize we will lose them for ever,I will try and chase some up in the future,keep the photos coming! I will never have mutations in my bird collection,if we arent carefull we could end up like overseas and cant get pure birds.you cant beat the original birds for color.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jaytt wrote:if we arent carefull we could end up like overseas and cant get pure birds.you cant beat the original birds for color.
couldn't agree more :thumbup: :clap:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
glen

Hi

Here are a few Photos of a "Chocolates" :think: then my Normals :notsure: :notsure: :thumbup:
100_4387.jpg
100_4391.jpg
100_4383.jpg
Then My averies I have two banks one of 42 and the other of 26 each avery is 1,6 long x ,750 wide and then 1,8m high they are joined in the middle with a passage of ,800mm.
100_4388.jpg
100_4385.jpg
Thanks

G :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Finches isn't a hobby its a way of LIFE....
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd say the top 2 look like fawns, but it could just be the lighting
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mickw

Worked out how to reduce this nice photo of my "pretty chocolatey" Parsons
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gomer

I just got 8 birds from Adelaide a little while ago.They were sold as chocalate diggles and are about the same as the photo above. Not to sure if there ever was a chocolate diggles ? Or they have just been marketed as a chocolate aswell.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
mickw

And another.......

Hey Gomer, have a read of Immelmann or Shepard......they both cite Keast who recognised three sub species of Black Throated......P.cincta cincta White Rump (Parson), P. cincta atrpygialis Black Rump (Diggles) and a dark form of Diggles P.cincta nigrotecta

So, yes, there is a dark form of Diggles, which is just the same colour as the nominate Parson. Not to say you definitely have that race of course, unless you can trace their origins right back to where their ancestors were caught.
gomer

No have never read that one,I may have it though ?.I had not heard of chocolate diggles untill these come up,Only the choc parsons. So i thought i would buy the lot.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Haven't seen proper Choc Parsons sinces late 80s/early90s & they were far darker than any of the images shown & far darker than any birds I've seen claimed to be Chocolates for the past 15 years at least. In my opinion no Chocolates remain in captivity.

Return to “Black Throated”