parsons and cheastnut breasted

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
crazy cuban

just worndering if cheastnuts are easy to find thinking about getting 3pair also 3pair of parsons do they mix and where do I get them
CC
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know about 3 pair of parsons, they are rather aggressive and could over run the aviary (remember my longtails crazy?)
Chestnuts are lovely, but you may have to go south/north to get them, never seen them at a bird sale or advertised in Canberra/surrounds. A guy has them, but hasn't bred them, that I know.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mickw

Chestnuts are pretty unassuming but wont be bullied.......I reckon they'll handle being with Parsons.......still better to put them each in their own flight if you can but not everyone has the setup :( .........you have the numbers right, three pairs of species which you probably wont be able to sex........ unless you go to the trouble of dna sexing & then who are we to determine compatibility of sexes??......let 'em choose their own mate I say :mrgreen:

I kept & bred Chestnuts as a kid......wild caught WA ones at that 8-) ......generations of domestication has no doubt improved your chances these days......they're overlooked, but deserve our attention.....they're in real trouble in the wild :cry: ......nothing like the numbers in the wild in my hood these days compared to 30 years ago............will be on the look out at next week's Kempsey Bird Sale :P

I now have Choc Parsons......only had 'em for a couple of weeks, they're still in quarantine but I dont see them as being too rough for Bull finches (ahem, Chestnuts :roll: ). However, my focus will be my Parsons (3pr) and White-Eared Masks (3pr) for the time being so they'll each get their own flight 4.2L x 1.2W x 2.4H........I have a bank of 3 plus a holding flight the same size. Depending on whats on offer over the next few months the other flight will probably get a mixed bag of Chestnuts, BFPFs and Diamonds............and Kula, the angry old Budgie will probably get a run in the holding flight.....if she bites me again she'll get to meet the Square tailed Kites and Nankeen Kestrels outside :twisted:

Now, the million dollar question...........how big is your set-up?.......no matter what the blend, if they're overcrowded you'll get nothin' ;) ............listen to all the experienced fincho's, especially those that succeed year-in, year-out........sorta borrowed that from another post by EOrix ;)

Return to “Black Throated”