Last years young are this years breeders

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Brooksy

After seeing them firsthand they are beautiful and Craig is doing a great job with them, and yes Craig you can keep a couple of pairs in my new aviary's, that's what mates are for :thumbup: :D
Fireback

Good quality white bellieds Craig, keep them going. Went on my annual fishing trip Gulf qld June 2012. I got some good video footage of white eared masks with chicks and Diggles together, around Steaten river and Dunbar station. Was going to go to Kowanyama to get some footage of White bellied bloods, but did not have enough time - had to get to the Atherton Tablelands. Cheers
Craig52

G'day FB,yes they are getting there.I received an unrelated cock bird a few days ago,a brilliant bird and mine are not that far behind him.Also had a call from another chap,(i think you know him)he is swapping me a cock bird for one of my hens next week,i'm so excited for the new blood.
If it wasn't for this forum,i would be stuck with what i have.Thanks Guys :thumbup: :D :D Craig
Aussie_Bengo

This is a great success story with so many foreigns falling away.

Beautiful Bloods.

All the very best.
Brooksy

This is a great success story with so many foreigns falling away.

Foreigners :eh:
Aussie_Bengo

Sorry,
Probably being a bit cryptic.

I'm referring to the the foreign species genetic pool that can't be replenished in Australia. And that slowly, different foreign species are becoming extinct in Australian Aviculture.
I am new, but I do know we don't have as many of these species in Australia as we once did and many are gone forever.

Regards
Brooksy

The white bellies are an Aussie bird
Aussie_Bengo

brooksy wrote:The white bellies are an Aussie bird
Thanks Brooksy :) , I am aware that the Crimson is an Australian Finch.

My original comment was touching on the fact that generally the number of finch & softbill species in Aviculture is not increasing but is depleting. I am aware that the White Belly is not only an Australian Finch, but is quite rare in Aviaries and is listed as a "Vulnerable" species in the wild.
http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/s ... n_id=64443
As with the Australian Finch Subspecies that are now Gone in the wild, we can loose Australian Species in Birdkeeping just the same as the "Foreigns".

I was simply offering some encouragement to Craig for doing such a great job in specializing in this subspecies, since it is certain that without his successes the White Belly Crimsons would not be as strong in Australian Aviculture.

Regards

Paul
Netsurfer

I read an article by Mike Fidler on Crimsons, he recons they are not really aggressive as most people think they are, I remember when I kept them the male picking fights quite regularly with the Cordon male, I was watching them rolling on the floor for up to 3 minutes. I am curious what was your experience with the white-bellied, are they same or more aggressive then the black-bellied. I would like to try them in a communal aviary one of this days! I have a feeling Mike may be right, or at least partly right, not all are that aggressive.
Is the New Guinea subspecie same as the Cape York white-bellied?
Craig52

Netsurfer wrote:I read an article by Mike Fidler on Crimsons, he recons they are not really aggressive as most people think they are, I remember when I kept them the male picking fights quite regularly with the Cordon male, I was watching them rolling on the floor for up to 3 minutes. I am curious what was your experience with the white-bellied, are they same or more aggressive then the black-bellied. I would like to try them in a communal aviary one of this days! I have a feeling Mike may be right, or at least partly right, not all are that aggressive.
Is the New Guinea subspecie same as the Cape York white-bellied?
Mike has had some major problems in the past that hasn't been published but is now on top of most of them and doing well with them.Aggression and compatability being the main problems.
With my original stock of WB's i found them quite aggressive,but with each generation the aggression is wearing off to where they will sit 300mm apart from each other to what once was a 1.0mtr :lol:
The latest cock bird i aquired sits beside the hen preening her like double bars do :wtf: i am hoping that his temperament is bred into my stock.
Yes i do believe the Cape York WB's are remnants of the New Guinea WB specie when islands were joined to the Australian continent, others may not agree saying that their belly colour is more creamy than white,some of my cock birds bellies are creamy white when caught up,but hanging on the wire in the sun they are snow white.
As i breed my birds one pr per aviary on their own,i am unable to tell you about aggression to other birds but i'm sure Trilobite can fill you in about his black belly crimsons. Craig

Return to “Crimson”