New Crimson owner

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Lachlan1

Hi team,

I'm picking up my first Crimsons this week and was wandering what works for you guys. Any tips in regards to aviary size, layout and diet would be greatly appreciated! Thanks once again
wagga

HI Lachlan,

Apart from the usual questions concerning aviary size, positioning towards the sun and what other species of finches are housed with them.

Crimsons will required a daily, if possible twice per day, feeding of live food and lots of FRESH grass seeds on the stem. If sharing aviary space with others species try using multiple feed stations as this will allow other birds another safe zone to feed from. Always keep an eye on them for aggression directed towards the hen and other birds near them. I always place excess brush on the floor mainly in corners so the hen/chicks have a hiding place/safe zone away from the cock bird. 1 pair of crimsons per aviary.

They can be a pleasure to own and breed when the aviary dynamics suit them BUT get it wrong and they can be heart breaking.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Spitfire

I also am 1st time crimson owner. As per a previous post, I bought 2 pair off an expert breeder and at his suggestion put them in an aviary in a garage,
It was Ballarat sale day. Within 24 hours 1 pair died. The next day fairly early, I put the other pair in an aviary 14m by 3.5m along with a lot of other finchs, where they had plenty of sunshine and plenty of different foods to chose from. Nothwithstanding all of the EXPERT ADVICE that I got
they have been examplary, they have so far built 2 nests for 3 infertile eggs but I am hoping. I SWORE from that day onwards that I will never listen to an expert again. DO YOUR OWN THING. My apologies to all the EXPERTS on the forum. I am still waiting for my money back????? :thumbdown:
Lachlan1

Details:
Aviary size: 3m x 1m
Facing north
They will be kept in there by themselves
wagga wrote: Crimsons will required a daily, if possible twice per day, feeding of live food and lots of FRESH grass seeds on the stem. If sharing aviary space with others species try using multiple feed stations as this will allow other birds another safe zone to feed from. Always keep an eye on them for aggression directed towards the hen and other birds near them. I always place excess brush on the floor mainly in corners so the hen/chicks have a hiding place/safe zone away from the cock bird. 1 pair of crimsons per aviary.
Thanks mate! I'm still tossing up whether or not to risk putting some of my redbrows with them or not haha.
Spitfire wrote:I also am 1st time crimson owner. As per a previous post, I bought 2 pair off an expert breeder and at his suggestion put them in an aviary in a garage,
It was Ballarat sale day. Within 24 hours 1 pair died. The next day fairly early, I put the other pair in an aviary 14m by 3.5m along with a lot of other finchs, where they had plenty of sunshine and plenty of different foods to chose from. Nothwithstanding all of the EXPERT ADVICE that I got
they have been examplary, they have so far built 2 nests for 3 infertile eggs but I am hoping. I SWORE from that day onwards that I will never listen to an expert again. DO YOUR OWN THING. My apologies to all the EXPERTS on the forum. I am still waiting for my money back????? :thumbdown:
Like most of the people say on this forum dont treat everything you read as law so I see where you are coming from but there is definetly a reason that these "experts" have gained the title they have so there has to be a balance. Sometimes life gives you lemons. I do agree losing any birds is painful let alone something as breathtaking as a crimson. Good luck with them mate! :thumbup:
Pictorella

Lachlan,

Mike Fidler wrote a very good article on Crimsons in a past Finches and Softbill magazine. I can't remember which sorry. Good luck with them!
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)
Lachlan1

Thanks mate I'll look into it! Appreciate it :thumbup:
Painted4

I must say i'm very interested to know about the mixed aviary with Crimsons. (Also want Red Brows, so tell me how it goes it you decide to go down that road :lol: )
Hopefully getting a pair or 2 next year too. :thumbup:
gomer

They go nuts with emu feathers and love pampas heads aswell. One pr per aviary in mixed collections. Mine only get a mixed brew of green seeds etc.. once a day. They also seem to prefer mealies over maggots. I have only ever had one pr nest in brush so plenty of nest boxes or other.I have mine with any coloured bird and have culled out any aggressive or suspect bird over the years to try and breed a placid strain.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Lachlan1

Painted4 wrote:I must say i'm very interested to know about the mixed aviary with Crimsons. (Also want Red Brows, so tell me how it goes it you decide to go down that road :lol: )
Hopefully getting a pair or 2 next year too. :thumbup:
Red Brows are fantastic little birds, It's just a shame that so many people don't give them a second look because of how common they are (partially due to wild trapping). I highly recommend them whether you get crimsons or not but would always suggest getting more than one pair due to them loving each others company.
Lachlan1

gomer wrote:They go nuts with emu feathers and love pampas heads aswell. One pr per aviary in mixed collections. Mine only get a mixed brew of green seeds etc.. once a day. They also seem to prefer mealies over maggots. I have only ever had one pr nest in brush so plenty of nest boxes or other.I have mine with any coloured bird and have culled out any aggressive or suspect bird over the years to try and breed a placid strain.
Appreciate the tips mate! :thumbup:

Return to “Crimson”