Is this common?

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Lachlan1

I was watching my BB Crimsons yesterday and today and their behaviour is confusing at best. I had given up on the nest they were currently sitting on as their sitting patterns had varied drastically from the previous times and yesterday in my mind that was confirmed as I saw them breeding out in the open. The strange bit is I went out to the aviaries today and they are in a 3m x 1m flight next to the aviary that has saints, strawbs, silverbills and pied ruddies which are all breeding but I could hear young quite loudly. I sat there for bit listening and was surprised how loud the calling was for "waxbills". I jumped in the aviaries to give them a bit of a treat and as I was in there it became very clear that it was Crimson young calling for food...

So my question is, is it common for birds to breed whilst still having a young batch and chicks in the nest?

Out of all the birds I have ever owned I find there breeding patterns the most confusing and hard to understand... that being said they are easily my favourite finch in terms of personality.
Craig52

Lachlan1 wrote:I was watching my BB Crimsons yesterday and today and their behaviour is confusing at best. I had given up on the nest they were currently sitting on as their sitting patterns had varied drastically from the previous times and yesterday in my mind that was confirmed as I saw them breeding out in the open. The strange bit is I went out to the aviaries today and they are in a 3m x 1m flight next to the aviary that has saints, strawbs, silverbills and pied ruddies which are all breeding but I could hear young quite loudly. I sat there for bit listening and was surprised how loud the calling was for "waxbills". I jumped in the aviaries to give them a bit of a treat and as I was in there it became very clear that it was Crimson young calling for food...

So my question is, is it common for birds to breed whilst still having a young batch and chicks in the nest?

Out of all the birds I have ever owned I find there breeding patterns the most confusing and hard to understand... that being said they are easily my favourite finch in terms of personality.
Lachlan,that is a very common scenario with my crimsons.Young crimsoms usually stay in the nest a few days longer than most finches,both the cock and the hens tails go from bent back to straight and you think that the young may have died as the adults start mating and building a new nest,i have been caught out a few times with young flying out and hitting me in the face thinking they had died.In the last week the adults don't enter the nest to feed the young,they feed them at the entrance to the nest where they become very vocal.
Usually the hen will be sitting on eggs when the young emerge and they take it in turns to feed the fledged young when off the new nest. Craig
Lachlan1

Awesome! :thumbup: Cheers for that info Craig!

Return to “Crimson”