Crimson Finch Video's Lake Jabiru NT 015

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
$bill

Video 1.
adult cock crimson eating seeding grasses along the walkway around lake jabiru nt july 015. in this group there were about 3 fully coloured cock birds so I thought this was the pick of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Oe0kF ... detailpage

video 2.

small flock of around 20 to 30 adult crimson and un coloured young. probably 20 or more were young birds. while walking around the lake which is a few klms walk I came across two large flocks of crimsons -each flock ran about 20 to 30 birds. most were uncoloured young just a few weeks out of the nest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ujMPyk ... detailpage
arthur

Nice vids

Crimsons in the wild usually appear a bit 'fluffed up' and not like the tight-feathered birds in aviary snaps

If some of those birds were in my aviary I'd be a bit concerned, but they are active enough . . were the vids shot in the cool of the morning

Any 'grass' experts recognise the seeds they are feeding on

Great trip, I'd say & thanx for posting
Craig52

Thanks for sharing Graham, i would definitely love to know the name of that seeding grass and did you bring some home. :D Craig
VR1Ton

Looks like it is a Setaria sp.
$bill

hi craig
unfortunately no! actually never thought about it at the time of the photo/video session. what was a surprise though the large flock of crimson finches were no more than 100 metres from the local residents of jabiru.
plus they are use to being disturbed as they only fly 20 or 30 metres and back into the feeding again. I was told a very large flock of gouldians was suppose to be around there but a bushfire had wiped out the far side grasses of the lake where they had been sited a week earlier.
crimson's were photograph around 9am to 10 am in the morning at around 26 degrees c
Craig52

VR1Ton wrote:Looks like it is a Setaria sp.
Thank you, will look it up :thumbup: Craig

Thanks Graham, it's a good idea to carry some small plastic zip lock bags with you when you see finches ravishing a seed like that. Cheers Craig
$bill

walkway around lake jabiru
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
$bill

a few more bloods around the lake jabiru walkway in n.t.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Crimson”