Crimsons - Running Extra Cock/s with a pair

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Boma

I'm about to get a pair of Black Bellied Crimsons. I've read that the hens are a bit soft and the cock bird may attack/relentlessly pursue her. In one article I read, it was suggested to run a couple of cock birds with the pair so that the dominate cock will pursue his rivals, rather than pursue the hen. Does anyone run several cock birds with a pair, and does the technique work?
mr skeeter

iv also heard of this method but i run 1 pair on there own with good results. plus i have not seen any aggression in my bloods at all/ cheers mick
Craig52

Definitely no, extra cock birds will just kill each other and the remaining cock will be so aggressive towards the hen that he will kill her trying to get her to nest.
If the hen is released into the aviary a week before the cock is introduce she will be dominant to him for a short period until he works out where he is but in the mean time she knows all the hiding places and where the food and water is.
By this time they may become compatible and there wont be much aggression between them but keep an eye on them.
If aggression continues, catch the cock and remove four long flight feathers from ONE wing. This slows him down and nine times out of ten he will stop all aggression and continue on to breed with that hen for years to come. The feathers grow back quickly,and in around 4 weeks he's back to flying normally.
Some times all of the above is not necessary and they bond normally and happily churn out nest after nest,this is more common than not. Craig

Return to “Crimson”