Colony Breeding Crimsons

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Boma

From what I have read, Crimsons seem to be best breed as single pairs rather than as a colony, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried breeding multiple pairs of Crimsons in a single cage and if it was successful? Perhaps in a colony they would be too aggressive?
Craig52

They breed well in a colony of as many prs as an aviary will support that being very large aviary. I know a couple of breeders with at least 10 prs in a large aviary that do ok but is only the dominant prs that breed. In saying that the young out put is fantastic with one breeder getting more than 100 young a year.
You cannot add new blood to the colony as all hell breaks lose and both cocks and hens will kill each other. The only way is to replace the whole colony and start again.
With around 10 prs you will need at least 30 nest receptacles, boxes,large fruit tin cans,dog food cans and plenty of brush to build their own nests and 2 kilo of emu feathers or more per season as well as as much seeding grasses and live food you can give them during the breeding sason. Craig
Boma

Thanks for the advice Craig. I have one pair at the moment and was thinking about getting two more pairs to place in my large cage (2.4X5X2), but on second thoughts I think that a couple of extra avaries would be a better idea to house each pair separately. It sounds like the colony system that breeders are using are made up of mostly related birds and may be similar to wild colonies? Anyway thanks again.
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 17:43 They breed well in a colony of as many prs as an aviary will support that being very large aviary. I know a couple of breeders with at least 10 prs in a large aviary that do ok but is only the dominant prs that breed. In saying that the young out put is fantastic with one breeder getting more than 100 young a year.
You cannot add new blood to the colony as all hell breaks lose and both cocks and hens will kill each other. The only way is to replace the whole colony and start again.
With around 10 prs you will need at least 30 nest receptacles, boxes,large fruit tin cans,dog food cans and plenty of brush to build their own nests and 2 kilo of emu feathers or more per season as well as as much seeding grasses and live food you can give them during the breeding sason. Craig
Informative little write up there Craig, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Return to “Crimson”