Crimsons - Housing Issue

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Boma

Does anyone breed Crimson finches in aviaries side by side? I have a large aviary (4.8m long, 2.4m wide and 2m high) with a single pair of Crimsons. They are young birds that have been in the aviary for about a month and show no signs of aggression. They are actually very happy together. I'd like to get a second pair of Crimsons, and am considering dividing the current aviary in two, length ways. I'm a little bit concerned that even with wire between the two cages, the pairs (cock birds in particular) will be aggressive or at the very least distract each other, which may impact of breeding later on. Any thoughts on the matter? or am I just better off building another aviary to avoid any possible problems.
STUART WHITING

Boma wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 22:50 Does anyone breed Crimson finches in aviaries side by side? I have a large aviary (4.8m long, 2.4m wide and 2m high) with a single pair of Crimsons. They are young birds that have been in the aviary for about a month and show no signs of aggression. They are actually very happy together. I'd like to get a second pair of Crimsons, and am considering dividing the current aviary in two, length ways. I'm a little bit concerned that even with wire between the two cages, the pairs (cock birds in particular) will be aggressive or at the very least distract each other, which may impact of breeding later on. Any thoughts on the matter? or am I just better off building another aviary to avoid any possible problems.
Hi Boma,

Why not put in a solid partition instead of the wire IE ply board or such like, that way they've got absolutely no contact :D
Craig52

Hi Boma, it really depends on the temperament on the birds you have or get. My crimsons are in 3 x 1.0 x 2.2 aviaries on their own all in a bank of 8 aviaries. The aviaries are separated by using solar weave on the dividing walls, solar weave is a tight knitted UV resistant water proof horticultural hot house product that is opaque and works really well for aggression between aviary occupants and also lets plenty of light into each aviary.
But in saying that others get away with just wire mesh and use the 6.5 x 6.5 snake/rodent mesh. Craig
Boma

Thanks Stuart and Craig for your ideas. They have given me a few ideas on how to do it with my current aviary rather than building a new one.
STUART WHITING

Boma wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 12:29 Thanks Stuart and Craig for your ideas. They have given me a few ideas on how to do it with my current aviary rather than building a new one.
Most welcome Boma :thumbup:

Be lucky

Return to “Crimson”