Dead Crimson Hen

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Boma

One of my Crimson hens died today. For the passed two days she was in a hospital cage, but didn't make it. She was a young hen at about 12-18 months old. She was paired and well bonded to a male, but did not breed. For food she was given good quality finch seed, chick weed, Lebanese cucumber, maggots, meal worms all on a daily basis and occasionally termites. She also had access to shell grit, cuttlefish and fresh water. While in the hospital cage she was given the same food. From what I can tell everything she needed was available. I think that she may have been constipated. It has been a bit cold here for about a week, but the birds are not exposed to the wind and have access to plenty of light. I know crimson hens are a bit soft, but am I just wondering how others who breed crimson are able to keep their hens alive.
CathyCraftz

What are her symptoms? Do you keep her indoor or outdoors? Crimsons are more sensitive to temperature changes than hardy Finches like zebras. Are you sure that she hasn’t been laying eggs? She might have mated when you weren’t looking. If she was constipated then she will look like she is having a hard time passing the droppings.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Egg binding would be my first guess, but it sounds like she was getting enough calcium for that not to be an issue. Without having her examined and tested by an avian vet, I think we're all going to be stabbing in the dark trying to guess a cause of death.
CathyCraftz

Shane I also think that it is egg binding because finches rarely constipate but Boma did say that she did not show any signs of breeding behaviour so we can rule that possibility out.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Craig52

There are many reasons to lose a hen crimson, the major one is not being ready to breed when the cock bird is. They may look compatible when you are viewing them but when you are not the cock bird turns into chasing machine and will also stop the hen from feeding unless he is pre occupied with something else.
Most damage is invisible because the hen can become exhausted just from being chased, combined with the chasing she slowly becomes starved and gets that sick bird look and soon succumbs with stress. I recently lost 5 breeding hens for this very reason as i was very sick and house bound to keep an eye on what was going on even though i can see my aviaries from my kitchen window i could hear the banging on the wire of the hen being chased. Craig
Boma

Thank you for the advice. It's interesting that the pair I have in the next door aviary is eating/drinking the same thing, are about the same age, and are exposed to the same environment, but they are alive and well (and laying eggs). Deaths do occur from time to time but I was just interested in what others do/or don't do to keep their crimson hens alive. Are there any little tricks that breeders have learned that help their hens survive?

Ps I also provide soaked seed daily.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with Craig. .main reason is stress from cock birds...when I kept them we used to put hen in 2 to 3 weeks ahead of cock...so she could find all hiding places also multiple feed stations with partitions from viewing. ..I even have this in my community aviary to this day. ..😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
gomer

If you are having problems with a cock bird and have no other option but keep the pairing you can do a few things. One is have the hen in the aviary first for a period of time before releasing the cock. Before the cock is released pull or cut a few feathers on one wing to slow his fight.This will allow the hen to be quicker then the cock. The other option is have the hen in a budgie cage in the aviary for a few days in the aviary if she is already familiar with the aviary but needs a break from the cock. This way he cant get her and she can be released back in a few days again. Above all hens do need a little cover to escape a excited cock during mating time.After time the cock may settle or you just may have a aggressive cock if you cant find a hen that will put up with him.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
CathyCraftz

gomer I suppose when she finally agrees to mate the cock will calm down?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
Craig52

Yes sorry i got a bit off track with your topic and gomer has posted what i do. Remove 3 or 4 flight feathers from ONE wing to slow him down, don't cut them as they wont grow back to the next moult where if you pull them one at a time they all grow back within a couple of weeks. After doing this the cock bird sulks for a while but it gives the hen bird a chance to recover and most of the cock birds do become a lot more compatible and go on to breed successfully with the hen.
On another note, give plenty of Emu feathers for displaying and nest building. Craig

Return to “Crimson”