crimson finches

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

damm i have been caught out . yep brad i have to give him some buckaroos for some other birds i got but he has a few orders for bloods so i am way down the list. he s got bugger all softies now....pete
gomer

his strain mybe alright with scarlets.The article i read was the bloods would not let them near the food dish,So they died from stress and starvation.As i said mine are with red headed gouldians and they both breed.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pete Sara

i might just keep them on there own and see how they go with there neighbours first. thanks gomer...pete
Zipman

Looking at restocking my Aviary with these and was wondering if anyone can help me out with a few questions I have :?:

Can we keep the White Belly sub-species in WA?

How readily available are they at present and how much should I expect to pay for a pair?

As`a lad I had a pair of these but because they were at that time wild trapped birds they never bred and the hen soon fell off her perch, as all stock available now is Aviary bred has breeding success improved and are do hens easily die?

Any help greatly appreciated ;)
gomer

I have seen them once for $750 a pr.They sold that same day.I have been trying to get them for a year or two.And have only seen them advertised that once.I think its a bird that mainly gets traded,Within a small group of people who already have them.Here in Victoria they are reconised as crimsons as far as I know.As We masks are reconised as masks and parsons and diggles are Blackthroats to mention a few.Good luck hunting some down,Im sure if you get them and breed them there will be a strong market for them.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
amalan11

this is interesting..just trying to find a bit about these guys as I went down to look today and came home with a pair :shock: .what a beautiful bird ,I paid $120 as they were the last ones left usualy $200 im told.The pair iv just got were in with a group of all types zebs,diamond sparrows and java finchs and did look fine ,guy said they would be fine in a mixed avery but im now thinking im glad I brought a breeding cabnet of their own :? ..my male star is nesting and hes alredy a very cranky boy so may not have been good.
I may change my mind here..the male just launched a nasty chase on the poor female I had to seperate them and shes quite upset,dont think it was a romantic thing either.
iaos

Hi Amalan,

Congrats on the purchase. Any chance of a photo or two? Have you got a license for them?

Cheers
Ian
amalan11

I have yet to work out how to post photos but hopefully soon...iv got a photo from my phone to my computer so thats progress.. they are a licence bird I think.
They are a very pretty bird with a fancy tail that spreads when theyare terrorising a female :wtf:
I have never seen them before except on the web and my girl is like the photos the male is not as bright as some photos like a scarlet he is more a blood /maroon red very handsome with a call like a rusty gate squeeking :lol:
Im just watching him and wondering if he needs to be on his own ,I dont want him to be a selfmade widower .Although she now has some branchs of wattle to hide in so has calmed down

Return to “Crimson”