Crimson finch mutations

Black Bellied & White Bellied.
Includes Species Profile
Fireback

Hi just interested if any one is keeping the yellow/Golden bellied blood finches ? I first saw two cock birds in a italian cane farmers collection in INGHAM north Queenskland in 1994.These birds are a natural accurring mutation found in that region,but very rare. Cheers
wagga

I was talking to an old time breeder in the early 1990's about this exact mutation. He was very active in the QFS and mentioned that a similar mutation was around, but did not prosper. At the same time he mentioned that a small number of the white bellied sub species were available. Today I would doubt there is but you never know someone might have these yellow birds. As for the white bellied they are in small numbers.
I recently visited an aviary and one of his cock birds has very light primaries with a lighter black belly colour. PM if you find any others out there.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Fireback

Hi Wagga, i have a photo from the same breeder in Ingham north Queensland old style non digital of a Blood finch cock which is all white except for face wings and tail.This bird is currently stuffed and mounted on a branch in a cabinet in his house.He didnt no much about mutations back then,so no luck with establishing this stunning mutation. Cheers
Augusto

Hi Outsider580,
I have seen a few differant mutations while trying toestablish good breeding White Bellied.
Fireback

Hi augusto how are your white bellied bloods going.I lived in Townsville for 14 years and white bellied bloods were very hard to come by. Cheers
Augusto

They are going fine, I have been breeding Australian natives for years I have many friends over North Qld. I am actually in Basalt just noth of the towers.
Fireback

Hi Augusto good to hear you are breeding some. Last ones I saw in the flesh were in Bundaberg and Brisbane 10 years ago. I did hear of some in Tolga up on the Tablelands though. I lived in Rangewood along Herveys Range road 6 years ago. You probably know Rino Zandonadi, he is a good mate of mine, he lives in Townsville. Cheers
Myzomela

Welcome Augusto to the forum.

Nice to have another member with news from northern QLD.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
gomer

I had never heard o f a yellow crimson.They are my favorite finch though, I keep a few normals.And would like to be able to get some whites.So my question is how do you get them ? They never are on the market, and seem to be available only to those who already have them ?
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Fireback

Hi Gomer its true White bellied bloods are hard to come by. From what ive seen and been told from breeders with these birds and there arn't many, there birds are difficult to establish in particular Cock birds are softer than the hens. So there tends to be more hens around than cocks. A breeder I knew west of brisbane, who also kept and bred Violet eared waxbills, said they were as soft as violet ears, especially cock birds. Cheers

Return to “Crimson”