Mute cock Bully

Includes Species Profile.
tonytoast

Keeping in mind I already had a pair of Chestnuts (confirmed pair as they nested and reared a youngster to almost 3 weeks), about 6 months ago I managed to get hold of a second pair and introduced them to the flight. I watched and waited, hoping to hear the familiar sound of crowing from at least one of the new birds....nothing, so I assumed that I now had 1 cock and 3 hens...not a bad thing. Anyway a week ago my cock bird died and yesterday I saw one of the 2 new 'assumed' hens crowing....but get this, he/she??? made no sound. Feathers on the head were raised, body upright, beak open and the original hen siding up to it....

My guess is 'mute' cock bird....although this will be my first experience of such a thing. Can't see why this would be not possible but was interested to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomena????

Cheers, Toast
Tintola

Just to be sure, maybe you should have your hearing checked :thumbup: I SAY: "MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR HEARING CHECKED"! :roll:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
west finch

I had it happen with a canary , all the actions no sound ! Tint your a funny bugger :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work smarter not harder !
mattymeischke

Someone said recently on this forum that ASM is a common cause of canarys not singing.
I wonder if Chestnuts might be susceptible to this as well?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tiaris

I've noticed most of the larger Munias - Nuns & Yellow rumps - often crow with little or no audible sound in the early stages although after some time it is usually followed by some sound. As if they are building up pressure to release the final sound.
desertbirds

I noticed the same in Pictorellas, on the odd occasions cock birds would make all the actions but there was no audible sound.
tonytoast

Tiaris, I know what you mean about the Yellows but this is different....there is definitely no sound. I will continue to watch in the hope that a voice comes with maturity. I am reasonably confident that it is not ASM, but I never say never. Thanks to all for for the input!!!

Return to “Chestnut Breasted”