Yellow Diamond in mixed aviary

Includes Species Profile
MariusStegmann

Hi all

I have a micture of Waxbill, mannikins and finches. I would like to get Yellow Diamond Firetails, but am very weary to add new birds to my aviary, because at the moment it is quite harmonious. Someone also mentioned that Diamonds can be quite aggressive. My aviary is 6 X 2 X 2 metres. I had lots of problems with aggression, first the Cubans were very aggressive. They killed my Peter Twinspot male. (Big tragedy - took me 6 months to get a replacement male). I moved them to my zebra finch ariary then. After their removal, the Lemon breasted canary male was very aggressive and allowed no bird closer than 3 metres to it's nest. I then put in 3 pairs on zebras. They stood their ground and restored the peace. I am therefore a bit scared of adding aggressive birds.

Any advice?

Marius :nosey:
SamDavis

I don't find Diamonds to be aggressive, but at the same time they don't take any nonsense from anyone. When courting, the cock chases the hen pretty aggressively (much like parrot finches). Just viewed your aviary pics and I'm not familiar with some of the finches you have but I have a pair of diamonds in a 4m by 4m aviary with orange breasts, ruddies, siskins, cordons and they're all breeding.
desertbirds

Diamonds are more so bossy than aggressive. They do tend to take over feeding stations and they can also raid nesting material from other species if there isnt enough to go around. I cant recall seeing one attack another finch though. They are a fairly robust finch.
MariusStegmann

Thanks, I will put in my order for a pair of Diamonds. You can't really believe everything you read on the internet, because of the birdkeepers in Europe and America keep birds in tiny cages. Their behaviour might be different when not kept in a large enough aviary.
Craig52

Hi Marias,i hate it when people overseas talk about YELLOW diamonds,i think that mutation died out in Australia many years ago.THere are a few breeders saying they have yellows but their yellows are diet induced,correct me if i am wrong aussies A couple years ago,i bought a yellow diamond,only for it to revert back to red within afew months, i was not happy.The breeder only fed plain canary seed,some of his other diamonds had yellow/orange patches in their rump. So i got diddled Cheers Craig :thumbdown:
desertbirds

Diamonds can feather pluck when tranporting or held in small cages, even if its just overnight. Maybe this is where the aggressive tag comes from. Try and buy young birds if breeding is your aim, as results are usually way better. People here will often try and purchase uncoulred birds (3 pair or 6 birds), Diamonds like to have a choice of mates and often bond before thay are fully coloured, of course there exceptions to the rule. A few good pairs in a large aviary can produce really well and become almost unstoppable.
MariusStegmann

I have to admit, I don't know anything about Diamond Sparrows as it is called here. In the last few years, I have seen a variation where there is a yellow at the base of the tail where in the normal ones, it is red. I thought that it is the one you refer to as a yellow diamond firetail. As far as I know it eats the same diet as the other finches. I will find out more from the breeder where I want to buy the birds.
Craig52

MariusStegmann wrote:I have to admit, I don't know anything about Diamond Sparrows as it is called here. In the last few years, I have seen a variation where there is a yellow at the base of the tail where in the normal ones, it is red. I thought that it is the one you refer to as a yellow diamond firetail. As far as I know it eats the same diet as the other finches. I will find out more from the breeder where I want to buy the birds.
marius,I think you are misunderstanding me,the yellow diamonds you are about to purchase are the real mutation.What i am saying is that as far as i know the yellow mutation has been lost in Australia and yellow/orange birds produced here now are diet induced like i found out with the one i purchased.That chap was feeding canary seed and nothing else.Canary seed has a high level of yellow carotien which can turn red feathers orange/yellow as well as their bills. We do have cinnamon/fawns and pieds here. cheers Craig :wave:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I posted pics of an orange diamond from work....
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Craig52

Jayburd wrote:I posted pics of an orange diamond from work....
Hi Jayburd, where would i find that pic cheers Craig

Return to “Diamond Firetail”