Diamond fledglings have ADHD

Includes Species Profile
SamDavis

Nest of diamonds fledged this morning and unfortunately one was found dead in the corner. Cause of death presumed to be sudden stop against the colorbond! Of all the finches I've kept diamond fledglings are the most dangerous. They absolutely bolt full pelt across the aviary like missiles and really make a scary thud as they crash into wire or wall. Other species (even dopey neophemas) simply flutter against the wall in comparison. Surprisingly the young Diamonds usually survive the thuds, but this morning one met with disaster. Really annoying as I have a waiting list for Diamonds. Maybe an ADHD drug like Ritalin is needed for young Diamonds?
spanna

I avoid aviaries with newly fledged diamonds like the plague! Do what I absolutely MUST do and get out. That sound of THUD as they crash into whatever/whoever is in their way is terrible isn't it.
desertbirds

I think some of the other finches are just as bad but as the Diamonds are a bit bigger it might sound worse than what it is. Pictorellas (at least the ones i had) were far worse fledglings than Diamonds and generally be scalped for the first month or so and it was not uncommon to have injured wings which took some time to heal
Mortisha

sounds like they need helmets!
helmet.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Diamond Firetail”