Fawn Cinnamon Diamond Firetails

Includes Species Profile
thewaxbill

Are the fawn and cinnamon Firetails visually different from each other, as i know some colour variants which are named and look fawn in colour are actually cinnamons, confusing when you have both in a species.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
Craig52

thewaxbill wrote:Are the fawn and cinnamon Firetails visually different from each other, as i know some colour variants which are named and look fawn in colour are actually cinnamons, confusing when you have both in a species.
Regards Bob
The fawn seems to only have a fawn back and wings and a very dark chocolate chest band and normal coloured eyes,and is autosomal recessive where as the cinnamon is a lot more diluted with a milk chocolate chest band and has plum coloured eyes and is sex linked recessive,so if they are looking more and more similar, maybe some breeders are interbreeding them not knowing the mutations. Craig
arthur

Fawns mated with Cinnamons would not produce intermediate coloured young
Craig52

arthur wrote:Fawns mated with Cinnamons would not produce intermediate coloured young
Agree Arthur but what i was trying to say was they would need test breeding to a normal to confirm what mutation they are if they can't work out what they have in the UK.
I know the same two mutations in stars produce a bright yellow bird,maybe the same mutations bred into diamonds will produce light cream coloured bird due to the light brown in their backs,you can guarantee it's going to happen if it hasn't already. Craig
arthur

Sorry . . misunderstood :thumbup:

Yes it will happen, as genetics are now better understood by most finchos

No doubt the combination is being 'worked on' in at least one establishment as we speak . . and while the mechanics are relatively simple, the necessary good fortune may take just that little bit longer
Tiaris

Fawn Diamonds (Fawn back with dark front markings) are still quite rare here (Aus) compared to cinnamons aren't they?
desertbirds

Can anyone post pics of the two as ive been confused about the appearance ofthese birds.
SamDavis

desertbirds wrote:Can anyone post pics of the two as ive been confused about the appearance ofthese birds.
Me too. I've never been sure about the visual differences.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Fawn Diamonds (Fawn back with dark front markings) are still quite rare here (Aus) compared to cinnamons aren't they?
I'm pretty sure they are Tiaris,they were in Just Finches and Softbills and the artical was from Australia.I will go through them later and see if i can find it,but i might have my wires crossed. Cheers Craig
Craig52

Just been going back to diamond firetail mutations,the bird in viewtopic.php?=103&t=5603 page 2 is a fawn not silver so if Country Capital got them up and going they must be here.
I can't find the JF&S edition with the fawns in it but this pic will give you an idea of what fawns look like. cheers Craig

Return to “Diamond Firetail”