Best way to breed diamonds

Includes Species Profile
finch&dove

Quick question about diamonds.
Have read plenty about them and so many different people have different opinions. What is the best way to breed them? In a colony of diamonds or as single pairs.
Thanks in advance
elferoz777

My future aviary plans depend on the answer to this question. . .

I have heard that colonies do better so long as you have the right mix (more hens than cocks)

I have a pair in my mixed aviary and unless I have 2 cocks or hens. .. . . they dont breed well in isolation..Thats my experience.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
firetail555

Just fledged 4 young from a single pair in a small dry flight.
I have held the opinion for many years now that most of the species that are recommended as colony birds, are those that are hard to sex. Once you get a true pair together, I am yet to find a species that I have not bred better in single pairs.
Nowadays it is easy to get them DNA sexed (not that expensive when you consider what you could breed from a true pair) and away you go.

david
Finchman1

I find they will breed ok in a colony or separate pair,they normally begin to breed at 12 months ,give them a varied diet plenty of greens.
I have a few young in the nest at the moment.I previously posted some photos of how I sex them using the eye ring and a few other identifying marks
finch&dove

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking just as a single pair in their own flight. I tend to agree with you David, in that I think historically it was done to improve chances with hard to sex birds. All the birds I have kept have been single pair bred without any troubles.
Can get an unrelated pair that have been DNA sexed for $120. Sounded pretty good to me.
SamDavis

I've always found single pairs produce way better. DNA sexing them is definitely the way to go. And the bloke selling the DNA'd pairs for $120 is closer than you think (not me)!
COUNTRY CAPITAL

dna "arranged" pairings are part of the solution.....much more successful than trying to get 2 cocks or 2 hens to breed!!!
however, no one can assure compatability between them and with diamond firetails it seems to be an issue.
from my experience they very much prefer to select there own mate.
i am a supporter of the colony system because thats how i get the best results. mine are in a 8 x 6m planted aviary and they can spread out and own a section around there many nests.i dont think several pairs would work in a smaller aviary though.
i have placed groups of 4 and 8 mature and adolescent diamonds in other large aviaries with very limited successes, i can only assume that they didnt like the pairings i made or even worse i may have split up a bonded pair, i believe they can bond before they moult to mature colouring, i often see immature cock birds displaying like uncoloured gouldians do.
an old-timer sold me my initial 4 birds 7 years ago and they ended up 2 successful breeding pairs so luck plays its part also.
where would the challenge/fun be if they were all like good old zebras.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.

Return to “Diamond Firetail”