Diamond Sparrows: Difference with roosting & breeding nest?

Includes Species Profile
elferoz777

Along with my weavers I got some pied diamonds (not heavy pied...actually most people would not call them that but the genes are there!)

They have build a large nest the size of a rock melon and it has a downwards sloping tunnel.

From what I understand this would be in preparation for breeding.

I have another pair that build roosting nests that have no tunnel and are half the size. From what I can see the birds just sleep there in the evening.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the appearance of the nest based on what they are being used for?

I am hoping to have some eggs as this pair a quite defensive of their position and are always in the nest.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Finches2011

Diamond Firetail breeding nests will always have a long entrance tunnel. You should not enable to see into the chamber.
NFB
wildbill

big nest and the tunnel is the breeder - the other one most likely 2 boys lol. the breeder will be lined with feathers and plenty of them. the other nothing but grass -or my way anyway. both sexes cart feathers - only cocks display and cart grass but i did have one hen do this.
good idea not to touch the breeding nest. throw some feathers in and watch

Return to “Diamond Firetail”