nesting?

Includes Species Profile
Hannes

Hi guys, i have 2 diomond sparrows that i think is a pair. They have been building a nest for more than 1 week now. The nest have a entrence tunnel and i can see them taking feathers in there. The one i think is the male have done this dans to the "hen" but she seem to do a littel dans of her own. At night they sleep in that nest and at day they build.Is that normal? I have 4 diomond sparrows in that cage and only that 2 is sleeping in that nest and he is casing the other away.
Craig52

Hannes wrote:Hi guys, i have 2 diomond sparrows that i think is a pair. They have been building a nest for more than 1 week now. The nest have a entrence tunnel and i can see them taking feathers in there. The one i think is the male have done this dans to the "hen" but she seem to do a littel dans of her own. At night they sleep in that nest and at day they build.Is that normal? I have 4 diomond sparrows in that cage and only that 2 is sleeping in that nest and he is casing the other away.
Hi Hannes,it is normal that diamonds build a roosting nest but they don't usually have an entrance tunnel as you have said,maybe you have three cocks and only one hen and one pr is attempting to breed.
Imo,you really need to get them dna sexed or put up some pics for us.
My personal way of sexing diamonds is,hens have larger spots and less of them on the flanks and cocks have smaller spots and lots of them and in breeding birds cocks have plum red bills (moroon) and hens have more redish bills.
Craig
Finchman1

I go by the eye ring, lores,beak,rump colour and head shape
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hannes

Thanks Craig, i will try to get some pix. They are in a 3x4.5m cage.
Craig52

Yes Finchman 1,i forgot that one.Light pink or white eye ring on hen and red eye ring on the cock,but only on adult birds. :thumbup: Craig
Hannes

Will two males sleep in one nest? Becaus the other 2 birds is also sleeping in the same nest. It is a man made nest and they took grasses and stuff in there.
Craig52

Hannes wrote:Will two males sleep in one nest? Becaus the other 2 birds is also sleeping in the same nest. It is a man made nest and they took grasses and stuff in there.
In that case the nest is a roosting nest. Craig
Hannes

Just another question.
Will to males dance to one another?
Hannes

I am trying to post pictures but it says invalid?
Diane

send the pics to the the forum email and I will take a look when I get home later today.
[email protected]
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Diamond Firetail”