Advice needed!!!

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You said your wire was the rodent proof type, and your floor was pavers with sand over. But you found mouse poo. Question 1 did you check round the pavers carefully for any sign of rodent entry? Question 2 could it be big cockroach poo, which is very similar to mouse poo. They will not eat the young but will bug the finches by moving into the nests.
LML
LML
maureen_g

finchbreeder - My son-in-law laid the pavers and put up the secondhand aviary. It seems the pavers aren't exactly even and there were some gaps which I've now filled. Also there were gaps at the rear under the roof which could be the entry point if it was mice. But I agree it could also be cockroaches. Will my efforts prevent them from getting in? If the DBs had abandoned the nest then why is there no sign of dead babies? And would they continue to use the nest as they still are doing? I am now worried about my other aviaries with Gouldian babies soon to fledge!!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is amazing how small babies just vanish sometimes. And not so small babies. Insects and/or rodents will rapidly devour small bodies. Fortunately this does not happen often, but has happened to us all at some time I would think. Finches are more inclined to leave nests when cockroches move in, but some are stubborn and stay. Pyrinthim based spray round the outer edgest of the avairy helps keep these guys at bay.
LML
LML
maureen_g

I'll do that! Thanks! Should I remove that nest? They are quite determined to stay and keep on defending it and behaving as though they have eggs which they didn't yesterday!! It's the one nest facing out into the aviary which means they can see me. I would like to just turn it around to give them more privacy but it might upset them.

Return to “Double Bar”