Advice needed!!!

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
maureen_g

Thanks emmo and CC. I am less stressed since moving the zebs who are doing fine! I was having nightmares about suddenly seeing hundreds of baby zebs filling the aviary!! :crazy: :roll: :lol: I will be so happy if I hear chirping baby sounds coming from those nests!!!
maureen_g

Well I did the unthinkable today and checked one of the DB nests!! I was concerned that they might have been sitting too long on infertile eggs. So whilst they were in the safety cage I took a quick peak. Guess what!!!!! Two teeny babies and one egg!!!!! They are the tiniest pink things imaginable!!! Soooo exciting!!! I can't check the other nest (and don't want to) as it's further into the nesting area and it would be difficult but I suspect there could be babies there too. All the DBs are gorging on cuttlebone which my Gouldians with babies seem to do. I am now giving the DBs plenty of green seed twice a day and am having a first attempt at sprouting seed. They are eating the mealies heads only. Now a breeder has told me they can't digest them properly and to dust the mealies with calcium powder which I'm doing. I really want those babies to live!!!! I was pleased the hen flew straight back into the nest as soon as I left. No more nest inspections!!! Is there anything else I can do to help them survivie? They are so tiny!!! :thumbup: :clap: :crazy:
emmo

Well done. Hope all continues to go well. Double Bars are great parents.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

supply greens like silverbeet and leb. cucumber, also seeding grasses.
all should be ok.....no more peeking though :shock:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
maureen_g

Thanks emmo and CC. The seeding grasses will run out in a few weeks and so I have been in a bit of a panic!!! However I made up my first batch of sprouted seed and put it in today!! :clap: :thumbup: The DBs were onto it straight away!! Also the Stars love it. The damned Gouldians with babies....... well maybe they might find it and like it!!! I am sooooo tempted to check on those tiny babies and see if they are still alive but managed to control myself today. The male DBs are very aggressive toward each other!!! Especially the one who I know has babies. He barely rests - always on the alert for the other guy!!! Even when he darts into the nest when the hen comes out for a feed he pokes his little head out to keep watch, whereas when she goes in she stays unseen. She is in there most of the time. OMG!!! As I write I can see the Goulds getting stuck into the sprouted seed!!! (they're in a different aviary) I take back what I said about them. Another problem I have is that in the nesting area where the DBs are, I put a seed container and one of those upsidedown watering containers. This has been there for more than 3 weeks now!! To remove that water container would mean causing a great disturbance in the nesting area. There are 3 other open water containers with fresh water out in the flight. Do you think I'm doing the right thing leaving it there? It does worry me.
maureen_g

Had a very sad experience yesterday. Checked the DB nest and no sign of the 2 babies whatsoever only the 1 infertile egg which I removed. Like they had never been there. Decided to clean up the nesting area and the whole aviary. Found some mouse poo on the floor in the nest area. I suspect this is the culprit as I can't think of anything else. The aviary has mouse-proof wire - 6mm. I have some baits out but need to be careful because of my 2 Jack Russell terriers. Siliconed any tiny gaps and put wire in small gaps near the roof. Put a thick layer of sand over the pavers and put some brush in. Hope I have done the job properly as I had believed the aviary was mouse-proof!! Very sad. The poor DBs are still using the nest - defending it from the other pair and one inside a fair bit. There are 6 eggs in another nest but I don't know to whom they belong. Maybe the Stars? Should I get rid of all eggs and start again? I was messing about for ages in the nesting area and was surprised that the DBs went back to the nest afterwards.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being a beginner it is hard not to stickbeak into nests, but Doublebars and Stars as well as many others will desert young if you do...hopefull it was mice and you have fixed the problem..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
maureen_g

I was totally unprepared for the DBs to breed having been told by the previous owner that they wouldn't until Spring. Now they have more secluded nesting areas to choose from which I won't need to inspect, a cleaner environment, hopefully vermin proof, less other birds in the aviary and I now feel better about their chances of rearing young successfully. The birds will be less upset by my entering the aviary because the nesting area is not immediately in my sight. I have removed the old water which was on the shelf in there. No reason for me to stress. They can do their own thing - breed or not.
emmo

Great attitude. Good luck.
Diane

You will have some baby double bars soon!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Double Bar”