Double bars very keen to nest

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
boundo

I have 2 pairs of double bars in with 3 pair of gouldians. My double bars are very eager to nest, and have tried to nest where ever possible! i have put 2 wicker baskets in amongst some thick tea tree about 200 mm apart. The first pair have nested immediately, but the second pair havent yet. Would the nests be too close together! Or do i need to wait a bit longer?
Craig52

boundo wrote:I have 2 pairs of double bars in with 3 pair of gouldians. My double bars are very eager to nest, and have tried to nest where ever possible! i have put 2 wicker baskets in amongst some thick tea tree about 200 mm apart. The first pair have nested immediately, but the second pair havent yet. Would the nests be too close together! Or do i need to wait a bit longer?
First of all Boundo,are they true prs and all DB's build roosting nests to sleep in.Maybe they are all sleeping in the same nest but i do think your nests are a little too close to each other but in saying that,i have seen six nests all very close to each other in a bush in the wild but they could have been roosting nests as well.I agree with you,just wait and see what happens. Craig
boundo

1 pair are definitely a true pair as they have already attempted to hatch a clutch(the eggs were fertile), the problem was they built their nest above the entrance and due to their flighty nature they must have left the eggs too long/often and the eggs went bad. the second pair had just begun to nest as well so i decided to relocate their nesting location to a more secluded part of my aviary with more privacy etc using the tea tree branches. My first pair have taken to this immediately although the second pair have chosen to roost at night for the time being. time will tell I guess!

Return to “Double Bar”