Sexing Double Bars.

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who needs a roosting nest when you are stackable ...yeah yeah I know the photos been done to death .

If nothing else this is a good pic to check out subtle differences in them .
Chest bars thickness . Head patch colour and shape to name 2 .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Netsurfer

Nathan Morleyy wrote:You sex double bar finches by the whitness of the chest which in the males is alot cleaner, the amount of black on the crown and how big the head is in both the males are bigger.
Also the bottom of the tail in a male is more square whereas in females they taper, are more pointy.
jnorriss

Just been reading the comments as have a number of "owls". I started with six on basis must be a pair or two amongst them and have successfully bred too many. Just had some fledge today that I didnt know I had. I have noticed that they are not noisy in the nest and just 'appear' Have managed to sell and swap some but still have some I have to cull however as license is needed sales are restricted. Was hoping to take them to our club sale in July as a "licensed" sale but this has been postponed to October. Anyway back to sexing. I have heard all the ways and each time think I have it sussed one of the birds will be incorrect. I have taken to putting a different coloured ring on each one and then hoped to catch the males with a piece of grass in his beak doing their little mating dance. I was also told to separate one in a cage near the others and wait to hear it call. You can then tell if it is male or female. I have not tried this.
Netsurfer

jnorriss wrote:Just been reading the comments as have a number of "owls". I started with six on basis must be a pair or two amongst them and have successfully bred too many. Just had some fledge today that I didnt know I had. I have noticed that they are not noisy in the nest and just 'appear' Have managed to sell and swap some but still have some I have to cull however as license is needed sales are restricted. Was hoping to take them to our club sale in July as a "licensed" sale but this has been postponed to October. Anyway back to sexing. I have heard all the ways and each time think I have it sussed one of the birds will be incorrect. I have taken to putting a different coloured ring on each one and then hoped to catch the males with a piece of grass in his beak doing their little mating dance. I was also told to separate one in a cage near the others and wait to hear it call. You can then tell if it is male or female. I have not tried this.
What do you have a White or a Black-rumped? I bought a pair of Black-rumped in March, but it turned out they were two females, took me couple of months to find a male, when finally I found one, it died the following day, then I bought another it died couple days later, and finally got another in May. Anyhow, they've got four three day old young in the nest. Black-rumped Double Bars are not often available in NSW.
The problem with DB is they can look perfectly good in a cage but as soon as they are released into an aviary you can tell there's something wrong with them, otherwise they're incredible little birds.
jnorriss

Netsurfer wrote:
jnorriss wrote: What do you have a White or a Black-rumped? I bought a pair of Black-rumped in March, but it turned out they were two females, took me couple of months to find a male, when finally I found one, it died the following day, then I bought another it died couple days later, and finally got another in May. Anyhow, they've got four three day old young in the nest. Black-rumped Double Bars are not often available in NSW.
The problem with DB is they can look perfectly good in a cage but as soon as they are released into an aviary you can tell there's something wrong with them, otherwise they're incredible little birds.
All mine are white rumped and are in an aviary with zebras, chestnuts, painted, cuban, ruddies and OBs where they have reared several young to the point where the aviary is now over crowded so am building second one as have got my first tricolours and stars which I have caged in the meantime. Have not had any deaths and like you think they are great little birds.
thewaxbill

Sexing double bars or Bichinos as we call them,is pretty straight forward. When i used to breed them i would put them all in a 4ft cage which could be divideded , put the divider in and split one bird off from the others, stand back and watch, cock birds will sing within minutes, as soon as you get a singer put a ring on it to mark it, then do the same again with each other bird, any none singers i will do the same again just to make sure and there you have your cocks and hens, never fails. The birds need to be in the cage and settled before trying this don't just catch them up out of a large flight and then do it, give them a few days. Try it with some proven pairs you will be amazed how simple it is.Never had one wrongly sexed using this method out of hundreds.
Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well my pair did nothing. So I got another pair from Spanna at the BBQ. And now there are 6. Didn't even know they had gone to nest. Yes one of the hovering parents has the orange leg ring, so is one of Spanna's. So whatever Spanna does to sex them I will accept.
LML
LML

Return to “Double Bar”