My 2018 breeding season hasn't started well

Includes Species Profile.
Blue Cuban

What do you think the Moxi plus is going to fix? And do you believe this is your problem?
Hobby finch Keeper
Birdy43

I'd never treated the birds for air-sac mites before or given any other medication, a couple of years ago I lost a newly acquired bird a month after purchase whuch I believe was due to air-sac mites - laboured breathing and clicking sounds.
After losing my one year old blue male recently and my 2 blue females showing similar symptoms thought I had better treat the colony.
All other birds appear healthy - apart from the blues, which sleep a lot and observed tail bobbing whereas the rest of the colony very active.
I only treated for one day 5ml/L moxi plus in drinking water - then freaked out after the chick tossing incident.
I've since taken out one of the blues and currently in a hospital cage - second day today for her on moxi plus, tried catching the other blue also yesterday but was stressing out the other birds too much - the sicker looking blue I was able to creep up on quite easily and just grab her off the perch between frequent napping, she seems to be doing better.

The 6 chicks that were tossed which I put into another nest of 4 are being fed by both sets of parents - think there is 9 in nest now - a small dead one had been thrown from the nest last week, expect them to leave the nest this coming weekend so guess will see how they all go in the coming few weeks.

The split blue pair which recently raised 4 normal with the 1 blue dead just prior to fledging currently on their second clutch for the season. Fingers crossed this time.
Birdy43

Had to have a peek, looks like definitely 8 in the nest still, fingers crossed all make it through
20180403_142434-612x816.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They look to be doing fine. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Craig52

They are looking good and there are two or three blues in that lot. :thumbup: Craig
Birdy43

Ended up with 6 out of the nest I put the tossed babies into - lost the 3 blues before fledging.
The smallest out of the 6 can finally fly to the top branches - so hopefully all 6 make it through, all snuggled up this evening.
Lost my other 1 year old red head blue I'd put in the hospital cage and treated with moxi plus. So just the single blue hen left from the 3 blues I bred last year.
Original pair which lost the single blue from clutch of 5 on their second clutch now - chicks about a week old - I've been strong and no nest inspections of this one. Here's hoping for a lucky break to the season.
20180415_173705-816x612.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice healthy looking bunch of young there. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Birdy43

Nest from split blues fledged 3 young; 1 blue and 2 normal or split.
Currently another 2 nests; original black head pair 4 young and pair of splits with about 6 young in nest.
Looks like another couple of pairs also sitting :thumbup:
CathyCraftz

If you want the abandoned eggs to hatch, it is best to introduce some society finch pairs.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A great many people will not buy Gouldians from people who even own both Gouldians and Bengos. But certainly not from those that house them in the same avairy and use them for fostering each others chicks. I fit the owning both catagory, but work on the "if the parents dont raise them foster to another pair of the same type or cut your losses" attitude to breeding.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”