Male or Female? - Help identifying this bird

Includes Species Profile.
gschneiders

I got this bird today thinking it's a single factor yellow male, black face, purple breast, but now I am wondering if it can be a female. I have a yellow female and this bird is a bit darker than she is, however, the purple breast is not as bright as the other male I have. It's a juvenile bird going through its first molt and it has not sang yet.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

[Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G.S., PhD
Poultry Scientist
Amateur Gouldian Keeper
elferoz777

looks male to me
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would think a male, however the brightest female and the dullest male = the same colour. So treat it as male, but be willing to be pleasantly surprised.
LML
garyh

i would think hen,head colour on cocks is darker,breast colour is light ,no extended tail feathers,overal colour light,glad to be wrong cheers garyh
gschneiders

Thank you all that replied. my initial thought is that this is a SF yellow, as there is some green developing on it's neck and back, hence I thought it was a male.

Thank you for your comments.
G.S., PhD
Poultry Scientist
Amateur Gouldian Keeper
Gympie birds

Hen
Gympie birds

Hen as hens in the yellow colour tend to have a dark pink beek during breeding season. I based this on past observations could be wrong though.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking hen because you would expect a male to have longer tail feathers in early summer.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gary and Shane make a good point - that I had missed - re the tail feathers.
LML
gschneiders

Shane Gowland wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 14:27 I'm thinking hen because you would expect a male to have longer tail feathers in early summer.
I agree with you all about the tail feathers, but this bird probably just completed it's first molt from its juvenile color. it was in a store with very poor food (millet only), and it is about 2/3 of the size of the other birds, hence the tail feathers are just starting to form. It is very possible it is a female though. I will let you know once I have the final answer. Just wanted to get the input of more experienced people as I haven't had any dilute nor SF yellow yet. I do have a yellow female (white breast, red head), and her yellow is much brighter than the one on this bird too.

The picture below is the bird now, besides a yellow female, green female and blue male.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G.S., PhD
Poultry Scientist
Amateur Gouldian Keeper

Return to “Gouldian”