do mutation Goulds colour up faster?

Includes Species Profile.
werty

So my yellows and silvers have pretty much coloured up

The greens still haven't

Do mutations colour up faster?
shnapper20

I havent noticed my white breasts coloring up faster then my normals, however how late in the season they fledged does seem to effect both
Craig52

werty wrote:So my yellows and silvers have pretty much coloured up

The greens still haven't

Do mutations colour up faster?
In my experience,blues and yellow backs can colour up a few weeks out of the nest where as normal green back birds stick to the last couple of months at the end of the year,but depending on when they leave the nest nearing Nov/Dec where they may only half moult out.
Imo, i think mutations are so domesticated now that they have lost moult out period of wild birds. Craig
arthur

Not trying to be difficult, but if that is the case, why does it not apply to normals which if anything should be more domesticated than mutations?
mudgbreeder

I had a nest of blues fledge in February and the 3 blue young had fully coloured up 6 weeks later, 2 females even have the black beak.
The 2 splits out of the nest haven't coloured up the same.
Maybe the extra Vit A and D.
Craig52

arthur wrote:Not trying to be difficult, but if that is the case, why does it not apply to normals which if anything should be more domesticated than mutations?
I did say imo but i have no idea really Arthur but it is the case that in my experience that those two mutations have lost the ability to moult out like normals do at the end of the year.
Maybe the green back normals are hard wired where mutations are not. Craig :idea:
elferoz777

I found no difference in my birds. But once I fledged yellow and green backs in august and they fully coloured by nov/dec.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
werty

Craig52 wrote:
arthur wrote:Not trying to be difficult, but if that is the case, why does it not apply to normals which if anything should be more domesticated than mutations?
I did say imo but i have no idea really Arthur but it is the case that in my experience that those two mutations have lost the ability to moult out like normals do at the end of the year.
Maybe the green back normals are hard wired where mutations are not. Craig :idea:
I think you are onto something

The normal greens could be hard wired, but the mutations could be losing that hard wired normal moulting time

That would explain why only the silvers and yellows are coloured up already
garyh

I have over a 100 young on the perch all blues and splits,apart from a few feathers here and there my birds are showing no signs of moulting,i out cross every year ,have never used bengos , zeb's or any other society finches that may in print their breeding habits on my birds,every year my birds start the moult around mid september and finish in december,by out crossing maybe we are instilling the normal traits of the gouldian,garyh
gouldianpaul

I've never noticed a difference in mutations coloring up before/after normals. Like Gary I've got a mixture of different mutations (blues, AYB, Dilutes) and normals and they all seem to start getting serious about their moult in September and finish before Christmas. It's been the same for many years.

Return to “Gouldian”