do mutation Goulds colour up faster?

Includes Species Profile.
Blue Cuban

Hello Werty,

Hope your birds are colouring up well, have you got any photos of your silvers yet?

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Maurice

Hello Werty, difficult to work out for sure why the differences from year to year, for colouring up times. Until more information is forthcoming I am inclined to believe it to be dependent on temperatures and various weather conditions, and same for all colours.
Kindest regards
Maurice.
Norse

All previous years here ide say no mine moult same time every year, but for some reason my rh sf euro split ay is in full moult now a good month before he should be, but then again I have one pair breeding also, so something's a miss at the moment.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
Birdy43

Have 2 young blues fledged 26/02/17 and also 2 normals or splits in same clutch.
The female blue fledgling appears to have a lot of pin feathers coming through on back of head and also on the breast, the male blue is getting a few blue feathers on his back. Will update post as they develop further.
Note am first time breeder of blues as was unaware the new birds I purchased late 2016 were split to blue.
Using the genetic calculator I have worked out that father is a red head/black head, purple breast, green back split to blue as only way can get a female black head blue back in offspring.
The 2 normal or split fledglings appear to be a female and male both going to be red heads - the blues look a lot scruffier than the greens - so will be interesting to see if they are going to colour up earlier.
P.S. Same parents sitting on another 2 eggs due to hatch any day now :thumbup:
garyh

So these young are showing adult plumage at 5 weeks of age? garyh
Birdy43

Photos attached of fledglings
20170402_160122.jpg
20170402_160201.jpg
20170402_161105.jpg
Any feedback welcome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyh

Have to ask the question ,how do you know its a cock bird,is it showing coloured feathers on the breast and head,garyh
Craig52

Imo there has been a little plucking in the nest, when this happens the plucked feathers come through as adult plumage. Years ago i used to pluck a few feathers out of purple breasted birds to get an idea of how many cocks or hens i had,it only takes a week or two for the ID. Craig
Birdy43

Thanks,
The normal possible split to blue male has a dark purple feather on breast and a lot of bright red feathers on head have also seen him singing his heart out and also jumping up and down.
Also one of the fledged blues has been singing and hopping to the other little blue fledging who was doing the head bows back - the pin feathers on the breast of the blue female have that light purple tinge to them.
It certainly is fascinating watching them to develop - will keep on posting progress
Birdy43

I've just posted a couple of photos taken this morning of the blue girl on my "Different coloured fledglings" post.
The male blue not colouring up as quick.
The same parents hatched out another chick last week (only 2 eggs and one didn't hatch) middle nodules white - so maybe another blue :D

Return to “Gouldian”