Aviary mates for gouldians?

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep Gouldians and Zebs together. But am with Craig. You do need to observe personality interactions. Some Gouldians are dominant personalities, some are not. Ditto Zebs.
LML
LML
werty

Craig52 wrote:Hi Werty, that is what this topic is about, if your gouldians don't get on with your zebs why are you keeping them together. I know you are going to say lack of aviaries but if they don't get on you need to think about separating one or the other or just breeding one or the other.
Even though you say they breed well,the stress in your aviary must be over the top. I'm not arguing with you just giving a bit of constructive advice. Craig
All is good with them being together, the only time the Goulds get agressive is with nests

I found a solution to that problem

All is peaceful again, the zebs population is quickly climbing now, had 2 clutches of 9 leave the nest just yesterday

As for stress being high?

According to the health of my birds and big clutches being produce, clearly shows no stress in the aviary
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

werty wrote:
All is peaceful again, the zebs population is quickly climbing now, had 2 clutches of 9 leave the nest just yesterday

According to the health of my birds and big clutches being produce, clearly shows no stress in the aviary
2 clutches of 9??? clearly would like to see pics of that... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

werty wrote:... had 2 clutches of 9 leave the nest just yesterday

Either that or more than one hen laying in the same nest.
Craig52

Probably that Tiaris or the aggressive gouldians are making them all nest in just two nests. Please be reminded though that we all have different experiences with our birds and if this is Werty's experience then so be it. Craig
E Orix

Last season I had a pair fledge a 9 and followed up with an 8.
This season they are on their 2nd nest, fledged 5 and are feeding 5 again.
They are exceptional parents and all chicks fledge to the perch and don't spend any time running
around the aviary floor.
I only run normal Black headed these days
werty

vettepilot_6 wrote:
werty wrote:

2 clutches of 9??? clearly would like to see pics of that... :think:
They are just zebra finches

Easiest bird in the world to breed

Clutch of 9 zebras is no big deal....they do breed like mice
werty

Tiaris wrote:
werty wrote:... had 2 clutches of 9 leave the nest just yesterday

Either that or more than one hen laying in the same nest.
Plenty of zebra nests

10+ set up in the aviary now and not all zeb nests taken
werty

Craig52 wrote:Probably that Tiaris or the aggressive gouldians are making them all nest in just two nests. Please be reminded though that we all have different experiences with our birds and if this is Werty's experience then so be it. Craig
Both gouldians and zebs lay big clutches

When I first got my zebs they only produce normal clutches 4 to 6

Since changing my aviary set up and diet they now produce big clutches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

E Orix wrote:Last season I had a pair fledge a 9 and followed up with an 8.
This season they are on their 2nd nest, fledged 5 and are feeding 5 again.
They are exceptional parents and all chicks fledge to the perch and don't spend any time running
around the aviary floor.
I only run normal Black headed these days
He is talking about Zebs.....never seen Zebs with more than 5 young.... but like all his statements never backs them up with pics..... :think: :think: :shh:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Gouldian”