Aviary mates for gouldians?

Includes Species Profile.
Saxon

Hi everyone
am new to the forum and Gouldians in general - I was wondering if people could suggest good aviary mates to keep with Gouldian finches
Paul
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saxon

Does anyone know if you can keep non-finch species with Gouldians - canaries, budgies etc? will they get along or will they fight and out-compete each other?
Tiaris

Canaries tend to pass air sac mite onto Gouldians. Maybe Neophema parrots or quail.
Tiaris

Or small doves (eg.Diamond or Masked)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Budgies have a nasty habit of tasteing any other types of bird you put in with them. I keep canarys and gouldians together, but put ivomec in the water from time to time to keep a lid on the airsace threat. I also keep king quail with them and have had no problems, even had the quail keep early nest leaveing young warm for the necessary day or two. But it does depend on the quails personality. Have had diamond doves with them, need watching as they are a bit flappy.
LML
LML
Maurice

Personally I would never keep budgies with with grass finches. Budgies are too boisterous. Also you will never have live plants in an aviary full of budgies. They will strip every leaf and bud off. Whereas finches love the leafy branches. All my gouldians have no other types of birds with them. Gouldians are lazy birds and like a quiet peaceful life. A lot like me.

Best wishes
Maurice.
werty

Maurice wrote:Personally I would never keep budgies with with grass finches. Budgies are too boisterous. Also you will never have live plants in an aviary full of budgies. They will strip every leaf and bud off. Whereas finches love the leafy branches. All my gouldians have no other types of birds with them. Gouldians are lazy birds and like a quiet peaceful life. A lot like me.

Best wishes
Maurice.
You must have some calm gouldians

I keep mine with zebras, and the gouldians bother the zebs, in my aviary the zebs are the peaceful ones and the goulds are the terrors
Craig52

Hi Werty, that is what this topic is about, if your gouldians don't get on with your zebs why are you keeping them together. I know you are going to say lack of aviaries but if they don't get on you need to think about separating one or the other or just breeding one or the other.
Even though you say they breed well,the stress in your aviary must be over the top. I'm not arguing with you just giving a bit of constructive advice. Craig

Return to “Gouldian”