Includes Species Profile.
Blue Cuban

Fantastic work Gary.... :clap:
It's good to see something new.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A pretty silver/blue colour on their backs. Congratualtions from me too.
LML
LML
D0NKEY

Great looking birds !! Well done !
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stunning! Congratulations on your success.
garyh

Thanks for all the compliments,after a few pm's i should tell you this ,these green birds are born orange in colour,the blues being a soft pink,have plumb eye's that change colour,but not sure at what stage,after about day 10 they change to a very dark colour like most gouldians,i have had young born that are a bright red ,and i do mean red,even in the egg at about 2 days before being born , the eggs turn red,alas they get thrown out straight away,i think because the adults think there is blood,i'm struggling to know what kind of birds these are,anybody with any clues?No yellow birds have been bred,they have been out crossed repeatedly to new blood,and have only thrown the colours in the photo's,cheers garyh
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they were budgies the plumb eyes could indicate fallows, so perhaps the Gouldian equivalent? With budgies, these come in white and yellow base colour with dark cinnamon markings. So cinnamon like, but not cinnamon as not sex linked, but recessive. Don;t know if that is any help?
LML
LML
arthur

garyh wrote:, the eggs turn red,alas they get thrown out straight away,i think because the adults think there is blood

Parrot breeders incubate and hand-rear from day dot . .

Must admit it would be a lot harder with Gouldians . .

Remember: "They laughed at Columbus"
D0NKEY

As finchbreeder has mentioned the plum eyes in budgie chics indicate a cinnamon variety. Inheritance is sex linked recessive. Prob different in goulds, but cocks can be visual or split , hens can only be visual. The colour basically softens and the black melanin is a brown, hence the naming. The skin of a cinnamon chic is also redder and they tend to retain pink feet as opposed to the grey.
garyh

Hi All,yes i think the bird is sex linked recessive,but not sure on the cinnamon,bib colour on some blues is a brownish colour,but not all,feet colour seems to be the same as all goulds,also on some birds the head colour is jet black,almost like a black headed bird,them moults to red or yellow head,Arther have thought about hand feeding but work commitments wouldn't allow this,have also thought about bengo's,not something i would want to do as i have never bred them before or used them as fosters,might try yellow backs,will wait for the moult with fingers crossed to see if there is a brown bib,cheers garyh
D0NKEY

Let us know how they turn out gary ... this is exciting and interesting. Just say no to bengos ;-)

Return to “Gouldian”