Stock For The 2016 breeding Seasom

Includes Species Profile.
$bill

Nest update

On the grey birds parents. Young hatch as of today 8 in total with one egg to go. Colour wise it appears 4 blues and 4 greens so no odd mutation this time round.
One of the grey green back nest mate sibling - as 6 birds hatched in the first nest - a Grey- a blue and 4 greenbacks has been sitting with the parents for several days now.
Yesterday upon inspection the cock bird and one of his young flew out the nest box -same too the day before. Today it was just the un-coloured young sitting on the nest and apparently both parents out feeding. After closing the door I took a peek back through the inspection hole and within a minute the un-coloured bird entered the nest box and say a minute or so later the cock bird returned and entered the box too.
After that you could hear them being feed as they are starting to get a bit of size on them. So I think that un-colour unit would be worth keeping in my breeding program for next years run ;-)
$bill

My theory on the new Mutation.

Just in case you have passed on over the past month :shock: the Pokemon craze has taken the world by storm :thumbup: Just across from out house is a nice leafy park and it's the number one hot spot for Pokeballs. These pokeballs are used to help catch the mutant Pokemons :crazy:

Now being of mature mind I never thought too much about this craze until the daughter with grandson in tow mentioned this was the number one area in Orange for catching them Pokemons. So out came their Iphones and the wife joined in too and soon all 3 were catching Pokemons. Not crappy ones either -Good rare mutation stuff and I mean quality stock too......Pikachu - Ivyazour - Arbok - Meowth :wtf:

Even I wondered why all the rare Pokémons were hanging around my area and no reports from any of the other forum members. So I sat in the lounge room :think: and :think:. What have I done different to all the others :think:

Sure the Pokemons are a type of mutant. I breed mutant birds and pretty successfully too :twisted: Suddenly it dawned on me. They had come to the Central west of NSW to see their King

That's right.................squatted high up on a perch In the outside aviary with no cotton wool bandages but a bit of heat - some salt and vinegar chips and a small coke was the ONLY and by far the rarest Pokémon in Australia the $bill special. Four years in the making ....the

POKEMON BLUE! Now that's a name worth remembering ;-)
elferoz777

I'm so confused right now
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
E Orix

Bill it's time to take another sensible pill, you are starting to ramble like you did in the past.
Instead of rambling and talking about Limes tell people how you manage your birds you never know we all may
learn something. I do not care if you breed 40 or 400 it's just a number. It's information we need.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

i must concur with the previous post....please enlighten us as to how you manage your "mutants" in sub 10 degree winters for example.
i see the weather report daily for Orange and it seems anything but optimum for winter breeders.
i am sure you are proud of your achievements/results but just as important to us are the failures/losses etc.
most of us beat to a different drum and it takes all kinds....just leave it to your peers to heap the accolades!
fortunately, like most aspects of our lives, in the end its not the fattest wallet that wins....luckily for me.
:wave: :mrgreen:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
$bill

One on One with Serious Bill

Well I thought the Pokémon hit was worth a try. Plenty of junior members on the forum and should they take a 'POKE" or check out this link - it would have been good to know that all the OLD and active veteran members don't actually think alike :lol:

Information Breeding Wise

For the past 3 seasons I have bred pretty good numbers with just - mixed canary seed-with some extra white millet added - Iceburg lettuce soaked overnight in Soluminavite - with a bit of sprouted seed mixed with hard boiled eggs.
Take note -no-where have I mentioned I required green milk millet and when I used it and it cost me $30 a tub -I did no better or no-where near as good. When available I do add a bit of the local winter grass.

True its cold here in Orange and only an idiot would say - let them take all the element that nature can dish out. My aviaries face west and I would get the cold south westerly winds straight from Mt Canobolas. End result -they would all be dead in a matter of days.

All aviaries have the clear café blinds down for the winter. Helps a bit with eluding drafts from entering the aviary and more importantly keeps them alive. There is no point me saying -All my Limes and Blues died as it's way too cold for them here. I'm sure the reply would come back -more fool you for not looking after them.

Earlier this year -say March two of my split hens went egg bound on their very first run of cold nights. Further back in my posts I mentioned this drama unfolding and one died and the other just got through. Well you can afford to lose the odd cock bird but hens I look at totally different. In most cases males in any species hold very little value and that's why in most game sports they shoot them :lol:

So I fitted out all 4 aviaries with panel heaters which I run from 6pm to 8am and since then -all has been good. No egg bound birds and better breeding results over the winter period. Very few young -very few not making it. You may wonder why I always add figures etc in my threads but it's just habit as I had 20 years working in accounts -. so over the years I saw quite a lot of numbers :lol:

Now before you jump the gun and think its not a bad idea heater wise which it is - the power bill to run the 4 aviaries is about $250 a month.....go figure that :lol: Is it worth it. YES! If I didn't have gouldians I bet I could pick any finch I could get my hands on and risk having a crack at breeding them in winter via a thermostatic controlled environment as so far its worked extremely well with gouldians.

I decided to take a couple of photos of aviary 1. today. From what I could see bar what was hiding behind the shelter I counted close on 70 birds. Now the more observant might notice the breeding cabinet too. About 6 years ago I had my first crack at Blues from a NSW breeder.

I bought 8 pairs of blues and splits and put them in under cabinet conditions in the laundry and bred a miserable 9 birds in total for the season. Plus had a couple of head twirlers to boot. After that season those birds were sold off and the cabinet breeding idea fell through and those boxes went to the outdoor aviary as a later source for holding cage for 'sale birds' and others who have been in my yard will/can confirm - Plus I have no bird room to house stock :crazy: Probably never likely too either :lol:

I am surprised -well I am not really ;-) not much has been said about this possible Blue mutation of mine. I look back at all the comments on that possible parrot finch mutation....pages and pages of hopefuls. why I say hopefuls is all interested parties were probably thinking if that guy breeds it -I might get hold of it cheap! But in the end it was not the case and some-one bought him out.

Now I feel they would be a few viewers who would like to see this bird of mine fail to produce anything interesting mutation wise. Feedback comments alone speak for that comment itself but I bet there is talk about it ;-) But regardless I still think I have the new mutation!

But you probably think ....What if I am wrong? Well as far as I am concerned it really is no big deal......I'm wrong :lol: but look on the positive side what if I am right :crazy: and the Lime is the key to the next Blue cross........thousands of blues about and they all require a Lime to breed the new colour.....SCARY THOUGHT THERE !

Plus go even further. There are probably another 8 or 10 mutation colours or more which could be of benefit to the Lime gene . I've only played about with the one. At the moment I don't know how the Lime mutation will react with other mutations so the option is out there.

Who knows Looking ahead this coming event could be a lot bigger explosion than just a small bang or it may just fizzle out. Either way it won't worry me as my breeding mutation experiences starting from the Fawn and Pied Diamond Sparrow cross to now has been extremely good to me ;-)

Kind Regards
Serious Bill ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E Orix

Big welcome serious Bill
D0NKEY

Awesome post Bill. Just out of curiosity, at what level of temp do j start using the heating?
Blue Cuban

$bill wrote: I see you have a few Blues yourself - I bet you might even P/M me for some ;-) I will look after you :thumbup:
Im sure you would look after me but I highly doubt I will be calling for this cross particularly when I can obtain them right here in WA plus I think nothing of the lime mutation.

No disrespect meant to the WA guys that have them.. :thumbup:
Hobby finch Keeper
$bill

DONKEY

My heater set up is controlled to turn on at about 8 degrees

Blue Cuban

I agree the Lime mutation is nothing too exciting to the eye. Still it has not stopped the buyers so you can't please every-one. A few years ago I owned a genuine Ford XYGT ..I thought it was crap!...still do but others don't. You might like them?

I think the Lime is fine and if the new mutation comes from that cross -like it or not -it will be the key bird on the block. So its just a wait and see.

Return to “Gouldian”