pure gouldian identification

Includes Species Profile.
shnapper20

I remember watching a south African video, where he was putting possible splits to white breasts, to determine whether they were splits or normals by the outcome of their prodogy. So how did he do it ? I cant remember, but Im sure someone out there will know. The reason I raised this, is their appears to be a demand for normals and this would be one way to achieve it.
alvin

A possible split white breast X a white breast, if you get young that are white breasted then the possible split white breast is a purple split white breasted Gouldian, if the young all have purple breasts, then that possible split is purple breasted and carries not white genes for breast color
Craig52

alvin wrote:A possible split white breast X a white breast, if you get young that are white breasted then the possible split white breast is a purple split white breasted Gouldian, if the young all have purple breasts, then that possible split is purple breasted and carries not white genes for breast color
Also if she/he is not split WB, all of the young she/he produced from that mating to the WB will be split WB. Craig
BrettB

I remember watching a south African video, where he was putting possible splits to white breasts, to determine whether they were splits or normals by the outcome of their prodogy. So how did he do it ? I cant remember, but Im sure someone out there will know. The reason I raised this, is their appears to be a demand for normals and this would be one way to achieve it.
There are a couple of problems with this strategy.

Firstly it would only apply to whether they are split to white breast, not any other mutations.
Secondly, while a single white breasted chick would "prove" that the bird was split, no number of normals would prove the bird was not split.
Finally this strategy would result in a considerable number of "splits" which to me seems counterproductive if you are trying to breed normals.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
alvin

My understanding of this topic is breast color, to see whether the possible split breast is purple breasted or a purple split white breasted. that`s the reason for pairing it to the white breast, we talking about one bird, not what breast color the young will be, the young breast color will answer the question
Blue Cuban

Also such pairing is the only way to find out if birds are split to white breast, sure sounds like a step backwards I agree but there is no other way to be sure.
Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
BrettB

Also such pairing is the only way to find out if birds are split to white breast, sure sounds like a step backwards I agree but there is no other way to be sure.
Rich.
My point is that you can never prove that a bird is not split to a recessive mutation.
In the example above of white breast crossed with possible split, even if all the young are normals it still does not prove that the the normal looking bird does not carry the white breast gene, just that it is less likely to do so.

If you want normals I think you are better off acquiring birds from a reputable breeder who has line bred them for many generations, rather than trying to prove whether any individual bird is "normal". This is not perfect, but preferable to intentionally creating a horde of splits.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Gouldian”