Gouldian in a small cage

Includes Species Profile.
davlee

One of my Gouldian hens suffers the heat badly and won't fly through the water mist like the others do. I have had occasions where I thought she was going to die, so on very hot days I now bring her inside & place her in a small indoor budgie type cage.

I am concerned that each time I catch her outside must contribute to her stress.

Instead of the constant catching, would it be cruel to keep her inside for say January & February? Would it be better if I gave her an inside mate?

The aviary is well shaded during the middle of the day and has roof insulation. The other Gouldians are OK with temps up to 35, but the hen begins to suffer at about 32. At the moment we are fairly regularly reaching upper 30s to 42 degrees. We keep inside the house at about 24 degrees.

Thanks,
Dave
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd say she has underlying issues...maybe age? (Too old?)...as all your other birds are coping...so to me there is something amiss... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Imo you are doing the right thing bringing her inside and i agree to leave her in there for the next month or two but not with a mate.
He will just harass her to mate but in saying that why not set up a small breeding cage in the house and remove them after the first nest of young are fledged.
There might be something wrong with her as gouldians in the wild go for days on end with temps in the mid to low 40's, so long as they have access to water early morning and late afternoon they tend to survive ok.
While she is inside medicate for worms imo. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would also suggest turning your aircon up a couple of degrees, it is healthier for you to have a lesser temp change as you go in and out, and you will be amazed how much cash 2 degrees temp change saves. And the bird will be more comfortable as you have already said she is fine at high 20s, and any young will not be too soft to stand a decent temp in the future.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

Yep I agree with Vettepilot something not right with her and setting up a breeding cabinet inside is the last thing you should be doing with concerns about her health.

You could try bringing her in and maybe put another hen in with her or have another cage near by with another Gouldian in it and I would recommend a hen not a cock.

Good luck.
Hobby finch Keeper
shnapper20

i had a couple of buyers who keep their gouldians inside permanently, Small budgie cage door left open they flew around the house and roosted and fed in the cage.

Return to “Gouldian”