2017 Breeding season

Includes Species Profile.
Birdy43

E Orix wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 09:34 It was - 2C this morning and my young Gouldians are squawking their heads off.
Luckily all nests have at least 3 chicks to keep each other warm.
Cold frosty night/morning followed by a beautiful blue sky and full sunshine.
E Orix wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 09:34 It was - 2C this morning and my young Gouldians are squawking their heads off.
Great to hear! Nothing like the sound of squawking chicks in the morning after a very cold night.
Could see at least 5 of the 7 from my distant nest inspection - getting rather crowded in there! Parents very busy feeding - loving the soaked seed!
GouldianGuy

This just shows that Gouldians are hardier than people think!
Birdy43

Birdy43 wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 08:31 Got through the first night of 3.2 degrees - can hear the chicks at feedtime so presuming all made it through the night - the suns just hit the avairy now.
Will do a headcount later this morning when in the avairy. I can count them through the nestbox hole from a distance now.
Spent most of the evening going through all the threads on cold nights/freezing/temperature etc.
Now to get through the next week...
All 7 chicks have now left the nest, all able to fly and perching - still a week of 4 degree overnight temperatures to get through - a few smaller chicks in this batch and definitely a couple more blues, just taking one day at a time!
STUART WHITING

Birdy43 wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 22:01
Birdy43 wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 08:31 Got through the first night of 3.2 degrees - can hear the chicks at feedtime so presuming all made it through the night - the suns just hit the avairy now.
Will do a headcount later this morning when in the avairy. I can count them through the nestbox hole from a distance now.
Spent most of the evening going through all the threads on cold nights/freezing/temperature etc.
All 7 chicks have now left the nest, all able to fly and perching - still a week of 4 degree overnight temperatures to get through - a few smaller chicks in this batch and definitely a couple more blues, just taking one day at a time!
Good on yer mate, well done, hope all chicks will be ok, as long as there's low cover in yer flights I'm sure they'll be ok :thumbup:

Be lucky
Birdy43

My 7 fledglings - just the one blue in this clutch
20170610_154037-1992x1494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STUART WHITING

Birdy43 wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 09:25

My 7 fledglings - just the one blue in this clutch20170610_154037-1992x1494.jpg
Pucka mate, well done to you :thumbup:

All look perfectly fit & healthy
Craig52

Well done Birdy43, if they keep bunched together like that they will be fine. Craig :thumbup:
Birdy43

Craig52 wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 17:22 Well done Birdy43, if they keep bunched together like that they will be fine. Craig :thumbup:
Craig52 wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 17:22 Well done Birdy43, if they keep bunched together like that they will be fine. Craig :thumbup:
This is their night time roosting site, all snuggled up together again this evening - I put a cover up by this section overnight and take it off first thing in the morning for their sunshine :D
Blue Cuban

Another good season here birds are a good size and look very strong and sharp.
I have pulled all my nest boxes except for 2 as for ive bred enough for the season despite them still wanting to breed.

Last year i bred too many to house hence why ive stopped now and like last year i will be giving a lot of birds away only blues and splits, im keeping all dilutes and double splits.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations they look great. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”