Pure Gouldians - Do they exist in captivity?

Includes Species Profile.
BrettB

I find the term "pure" a bit confusing in this context, I think "wild-type" would be clearer.

I think there are numerous people that keep Gouldians that look like wild Gouldians and hence could reasonably be described as "wild-type" Gouldians.
These birds would ideally have relatively few, or preferably no, mutation genes in the flock.

The more complex issue is whether they behave like wild Gouldians.
Personally I am of the view that the majority of behaviors in birds are "hard wired", and by that I mean genetically determined or inherited.
If the birds do not behave the same then they are likely to be genetically different.
Domestication changes behavior, by changing the genetics, I can not see any way around this.
The longer the domestication the more profound the genetic change is likely to be.

Hopefully Peri's research will cast some light on this.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Tiaris

behaviour is not necessarily changed by genetics. There is an interaction between genetics and environment which determines both behaviour and physical features. genetics is only half of the equation. Behaviour can be adapted and can be learned.
Wild-type Gouldians do behave differently to multi-generation captive "normal" Gouldians, and also have different physical proportions.
starman

Tiaris wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 06:53
Wild-type Gouldians do behave differently to multi-generation captive "normal" Gouldians, and also have different physical proportions.
Apparently, when Newcastle University (U.K.) imported 40 wild Gouldians to do 'wild v domesticated' research they found that the domesticated birds were, on average, 15-20% larger, were brighter in colour, and had longer tails (Fidler 1996. AFA Interview).
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

starman wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 07:27
Tiaris wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 06:53
Apparently, when Newcastle University (U.K.) imported 40 wild Gouldians to do 'wild v domesticated' research they found that the domesticated birds were, on average, 15-20% larger, were brighter in colour, and had longer tails (Fidler 1996. AFA Interview).
The simple answer to that would be domesticated gouldians have no or very little stress. Domesticated gouldians live longer due to no predation and do not have fly great distances to find water and food or be on constant lookout for predators. They are happy to just eat and breed as every thing they need is supplied to them to do so. Happy finch happy life full of nutrition means they grow bigger and their colours get brighter. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

full of nutrition means they grow bigger
Just like people. Compare the developed world with the undeveloped. Environmental not genetic.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”